ICv2 Reports On RPGs Growth This Year

ICv2 has published its latest quarterly hobby channel game rankings for Spring 2022. The Top 5 contains D&D twice (once from WotC, and once from third parties Goodman Games and Darrington Press/Critical Role), along with two licensed Hasbro (owner of WotC) properties, plus Pathfinder.

"RPGs are the story of the year so far," a hobby distributor told ICv2. "D&D’s king by leaps and bounds, don’t get me wrong, but the number of RPGs that were [significant contributors to] sales was 40 different brands."

AFDD50F7-33FA-4C4A-B12E-616950A20989.jpeg
The chart is based on interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers. As always you can see the compiled chart going back to 2004 here.

Reynard

Legend
The OGL might be one of the most astonishing Judo moves in the history of intellectual property: giving away tons of stuff to competitors, which benefits competitors and e courage them to make products compatible with your own products...without being in the least anti-competitive? Genius.
Hobbling it for 4E was probably WotC's single biggest blunder in their history as stewards of D&D.

Reynard

Legend
While I'm thankful for the licenses for 3.x and 5e, I wish we'd gotten a good OGL for 4e. The industry could be in a very different place right now, especially for crunchier games.
Literally all the mountains of 3rd party Pathfinder support would have gone to 4E -- just like it is now going to 5E instead of PF2.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases