• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ideal all-in-one RPG software package

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
I am of the opinion that WotC is doing all they legally can to control the fantasy RPG market, particularly electronic products.
If they wanted to stop "all they legally could" they would not have released the OGL to us. The OGL is what makes all of the tools out there, mine included, possible. It would be real nice if the OGL extended out beyond the core, but to access WotC of stifling "all" is way off the mark.

boB S

First Post
DMFTodd said:
If they wanted to stop "all they legally could" they would not have released the OGL to us. The OGL is what makes all of the tools out there, mine included, possible. It would be real nice if the OGL extended out beyond the core, but to access WotC of stifling "all" is way off the mark.

For some reason your post has led me to an "Aha!" moment, where I believe I finally see where I was blind before. I went back to the System Reference Document and reread the legalities section. It is given as OGL material, so anything in this document can be used to create characters, adjudicate combat as defined in this SRD, etc., all of those things prohibited to software in the d20 license. Have I got it straight now? For some reason I thought I had read something relevant to the SRD that made me think it fell under some of the d20 licensing restrictions.

As to your post that counters my earlier post, I'm not sure if I want to agree with you and amend my "opinion" or not. Without the SRD you could probably still have legally done all that you have done. You might have had to change the actual terminology you would have used to avoid any trademark infringements, but the concepts involved in RPGing are not owned by WotC, just their specific applications of it. In fact you might have had more freedom to do what you would want to do and could market your products as being compatible with DnD, etc. as mentioned in an earlier post. It seems to me that WotC in making the SRD available is channeling gamers into directions that WotC feel best serves their interests and in this sense I think I still want to maintain that they are doing all they legally can to control where fantasy RPGs are going. In any event I "think" that we can all agree that WotC IS trying to exert "control." It may just be the amount, kind and direction thereof we might quibble about. But I guess even if I am totally wrong about this I still am left with the feeling or impression that WotC is doing as I stated in my earlier post.

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
Have I got it straight now?
Right, the d20 license has nothing to do with the SRD. The SRD goes with the OGL only.

Without the SRD you could probably still have legally done all that you have done. You might have had to change the actual terminology
Yes I *might* have but I would have been in a very unclear legal area as far as I'm concerned. Do I want to spend a bunch of time writing a software product only to be sued by WotC and have to abandon it? No thanks. I'll take the relatively clear route of the OGL.

Do I think some of the character generator stuff could go outside the OGL, yes I do. My product isn't that type of product though so my opinion there ain't worth much.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads