D&D General Ideas for an "Escape from Hell" Game

If you really are interest about Abrahamic "myths" I suggest to read "Mysteries of the old testament" by Anne Catheline Emmerich, and "Letter from beyond (hell)".

Disclaimer: I know we are here to talk about speculative fiction, not about some matters from real world, but sometimes we can suggest some things as source of inspiration. And they are private visions, you haven't to believe them.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
If you really are interest about Abrahamic "myths" I suggest to read "Mysteries of the old testament" by Anne Catheline Emmerich, and "Letter from beyond (hell)".

Disclaimer: I know we are here to talk about speculative fiction, not about some matters from real world, but sometimes we can suggest some things as source of inspiration. And they are private visions, you haven't to believe them.
Ouch, I should have used a word other than "myth". Trust, however, that I did not mean to imply any definite knowledge of religious reality or non-reality. I will change "myth" to "record".

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Hmm, if you want to escape, not delve, just start at the bottom right? It sounds trite, but that's what I'd do. If you had a mines/gladiator arena thing going you have lots of reasons for slaves in great quantities. You put the characters in the mines at the bottom, layer the gladiator bit above that, and then at least one more layer above that for living quarters and admin type stuff (or whatever). You can start the characters off essentially naked at the bottom, move to picks and scavenged armor, but fairly quickly let them reequip when they hit the gladiator level. Then they can tackle the rest of the complex.

If the complex in question had been abandoned for a long time prior to being resettled by the demons/devils or whatever, perhaps built by someone else entirely, you have a plausible reason for there to be a lot more dungeon than just the part currently in use. Plus the party could stage raids into the inhabited part for 'reasons' and explore the uninhabited part.

You could throw in farming caverns with disgusting mushrooms, or whatever vile plants you want, and the meat, naturally, comes from the slave population.

The reason for the resettlement could be whatever is being mined. Delving for a lost artifact, crystal shards of a fallen god, something cool. Maybe that's a carrot for the players, something they can try to steal and escape with. Or, alternatively, this could be a Return of the Jedi thing and there's someone already imprisoned in the complex that they have to find, liberate, and then escape with.

dave2008

Legend
First thought:
Assuming they start the game trapped / imprisoned or shortly after escaping a similar situation. Have them trapped with a bunch of similar people that travel with them. This provides great opportunities for them to loose friends/allies along the way, display some gruesome depths, and hide a devil/demon in disguise.

dave2008

Legend
2nd thought:
Hell should, at some point, deliver a sense of hopelessness. I would suggest at some point the group escapes some portion of hell/dungeon only to go through door/portal/passage or similar and when they get through they are back where they started!

Alternately, they go through door/portal/passage or similar and when they get through they an apparently endless expanse of hellscape, or overview of an enormous maze, etc.

Bawylie

A very OK person
All you have to do is act out quirky, cagey NPCs who offer no real input but take a bunch of time, role play every shopping interaction, and ask “are your SURE you want to do that?” after every player declaration.

You will very quickly create a hellscape from which your players will attempt to escape.

generic

All you have to do is act out quirky, cagey NPCs who offer no real input but take a bunch of time, role play every shopping interaction, and ask “are your SURE you want to do that?” after every player declaration.

You will very quickly create a hellscape from which your players will attempt to escape.
Oh Hells, I can see their exasperated faces already.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
You have a while to worldbuild? Good! Read these for ideas:

Dante's Inferno - the landscape to cover and some tormented souls to meet
Dante's Purgatorio (and Paradisio (sp?) maybe)
Larry Niven wrote a book "updating" the Inferno. Alas I do not remember the title.
Another book titled Escape From Hell; the cover art looks like the Inferno.
The Screwtape Letters - how the devils treat each other
Escape From New York (movie) or Escape from Los Angeles (sequel)

generic

You have a while to worldbuild? Good! Read these for ideas:

Dante's Inferno - the landscape to cover and some tormented souls to meet
Dante's Purgatorio (and Paradisio (sp?) maybe)
Larry Niven wrote a book "updating" the Inferno. Alas I do not remember the title.
Another book titled Escape From Hell; the cover art looks like the Inferno.
The Screwtape Letters - how the devils treat each other
Escape From New York (movie) or Escape from Los Angeles (sequel)
I've read Inferno and The Screwtape Letters, but not the others, thank you for the recommendations.

Remove ads