Ideas for Improving Inspiration

Aldarc

Legend
I would also consider importing a modified version of the Dungeon Worlds Bonds system. Bonds are principally about the relationships between the PC and other PCs, though also possibly NPCs, generally determined by class/playbook. Though it rewards XP, it does not seem unfeasible to have it provide Inspiration. But one could then stipulate that Inspiration is used to assist another player character.

I think Inspiration should be used to reward players to complicate the story based on their flaws and traits. They can then use them to spend them when things get hairy.

Similar to the Action Hero who gets the crap beat out of them at the beginning of the movie but then comes back to kick butt at the end. Which is why I like giving out more than one.

In fact, I use them as an incentive to complicate things. I'll offer them a course of action and the potential to earn an inspiration.

"You like 'ACTION OVER WORDS'. This diplomatic talk is boring. Why don't you do something to spice it up?"

You'd be surprised what a player will do just to get a point of inspiration.

I'm convinced that Inspiration was inspired by FATE but they implemented in to the game poorly.

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

I would also consider importing a modified version of the Dungeon Worlds Bonds system. Bonds are principally about the relationships between the PC and other PCs, though also possibly NPCs, generally determined by class/playbook.

Agreed. I've always seen the 5e background traits as inferior to DW bonds, which are simple, colorful, and fun to incorporate. Make it about the relationship between the PCs, not just about each PC in isolation.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Agreed. I've always seen the 5e background traits as inferior to DW bonds, which are simple, colorful, and fun to incorporate. Make it about the relationship between the PCs, not just about each PC in isolation.

That would be a somewhat harder setup for AL type games and some pickup or player pool games, plus there's nothing stopping anyone from including DW-style bonds right now. Personal characteristics can be written however we want.

Our DM told us that he couldn't run today's session because he'd be out traveling, and that he'd have to run it via text and I, jokingly, told him I was going to bring brownies to roll20 and he wasn't going to get any. I thought of this thread and I told him they were Inspiration Brownies. He laughed and said he was up for that. So, today, when everyone logs on, they will have an Inspiration Brownie which I made by making a custom deck of cards which the players can draw from. It's infinite Brownies.

Attachments

• brownie tokens.png
    brownie tokens.png
    194.8 KB · Views: 829
Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Okay, while I am not of the "Inspiration is borked" train, in the spirit of the thread I'll make suggestions on how to make it better.

First, I would make it that spending Inspiration needs to be linked to one of your traits. So you gain it as below, but it can be against any of your traits, positive or negative, that you need to narrate out the use of it.

Second, five traits per PC is a lot to keep track of. While FATE often has five Aspects, they replace a bunch of other mechanics that 5e has, and even then are often put up on index cards or other play aids. So I'd suggest less traits that gain points.

Thirdly, the nature of the five that 5e picked has the possibility to be gamed by players who write overly broad positive traits. Instead I would suggest Inspiration only comes from negative traits. If a player wants to write them wide so they come up a lot - and mess up the characters a lot - that's just as valid as writing them narrow and definitive.

I'd like to see negative ones in two parts - general ones that define how I can act against my own best interests, and interpersonal traits that can cause consensual drama between characters (as opposed to drama between players which isn't as fun).

An example of the later comes from a blog post by Rob Donoghue, co-creator of FATE, talking about how to adapt PbtA bonds into more open-ended ones for a rotating cast. But that method also opens them up for interactions with NPCs and makes a nifty way of describing interpersonal flaws. His examples are:

Gullible – Tell me a lie I believe
Liar – Believe and act on a lie I’ve told you
Righteous – Offer me an easier solution I must refuse on principle.
Outsider – Refuse my aid because I’m different
Leader – Allow me to make a decision so you can criticize it.
Heroic – Let me keep you from going first into danger so I can go myself

Just some examples, you would come up with your own. But they would need to be specifically actionable.

Interpersonal ones like these would grant inspiration to BOTH parties involved. So the rogue offering to torture the prisoners for information that gets opposed by the Righteous paladin would gain them both Inspiration.

Laurefindel

Legend
An example of the later comes from a blog post by Rob Donoghue, co-creator of FATE, talking about how to adapt PbtA bonds into more open-ended ones for a rotating cast. But that method also opens them up for interactions with NPCs and makes a nifty way of describing interpersonal flaws. His examples are:

Gullible – Tell me a lie I believe
Liar – Believe and act on a lie I’ve told you
Righteous – Offer me an easier solution I must refuse on principle.
Outsider – Refuse my aid because I’m different
Leader – Allow me to make a decision so you can criticize it.
Heroic – Let me keep you from going first into danger so I can go myself

...Interpersonal ones like these would grant inspiration to BOTH parties involved. So the rogue offering to torture the prisoners for information that gets opposed by the Righteous paladin would gain them both Inspiration.

interesting stuff here. taking notes.

Okay, while I am not of the "Inspiration is borked" train, in the
First, I would make it that spending Inspiration needs to be linked to one of your traits. So you gain it as below, but it can be against any of your traits, positive or negative, that you need to narrate out the use of it.

Thirdly, the nature of the five that 5e picked has the possibility to be gamed by players who write overly broad positive traits. Instead I would suggest Inspiration only comes from negative traits. If a player wants to write them wide so they come up a lot - and mess up the characters a lot - that's just as valid as writing them narrow and definitive.

One of the things you get good at playing FATE is making traits that are double-edged. If they are too positive, you don't gain Inspiration and, if they are too negative, you can't spend them.

Something like, "Always Ready" hardly nets you anything because it's good to always be ready. But "Always Expecting the Worst" still lets you be ready, but can lead to some interesting complications and rp situations.

But Fate points are an economy in FATE and not a 'gimmick' as someone put it. The game doesn't really work without them and you need them to flow back and forth. That said, you might want to specify in D&D that some Traits should be positive and some should specifically be 'flaws' if you're worried people would game the system.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases