• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) If baseball can change, D&D can change too

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Pitch clock...well, OK to a point. Good and bad.

Bigger bases - fine.

Banning the infield shift, and other needless rules around placement of fielders - not fine. In D&D this would be vaguely equivalent to banning the front line from forming a shield wall even though it's otherwise a perfectly valid tactic. This one seems like change for the sake of change.

It could also be like putting in rules to stop the 5 minute adventuring day?
Pitch clock...well, OK to a point. Good and bad.

Bigger bases - fine.

Banning the infield shift, and other needless rules around placement of fielders - not fine. In D&D this would be vaguely equivalent to banning the front line from forming a shield wall even though it's otherwise a perfectly valid tactic. This one seems like change for the sake of change.

Are they changing the rules to sell more bats and balls, or to actually improve the game?

The current D&D revision looks to me like it includes changes for their own sake that don't actually improve the game. I'm not sure the revision will be an overall improvement or will make my game better.
The current D&D revision looks to me as if many of the changes are trying to improve the game. Some of them look as if they are succeeding, some of them look as if they really aren't, some are half-baked and could work with a few more iterations, and some of them ... I'm not sure what they are thinking. But a lot of them are attempts, with mixed success and some I'd call actual improvements.

Yep - which would almost certainly be a kick in the teeth for player agency were they to do so.
This depends how it's done. I didn't find that 4e 5 minute short rests (as opposed to 5e one hour short rests) harmed player agency in the slightest - and they certainly reduced the 5 minute adventuring day.

jasper

Rotten DM

Looks like baseball is getting a revised edition too. I feel this is appropriate for this forum cause it shows willingness on a part of a game organization to examine itself and make adjustments to improve the game. Could WOTC learn a thing or two from the sports ball people on making changes to a beloved game?
In the Future just one and half days into the future, large stadiums would be sold out to see Jasper DM vs Oofa the barbarian, Grock the wizard, Snarf zag the ranger, and Jester the cleric. Season tickets are available. And no beer for the players after the 7th encounter.
One these games pay their players millions.
The other pays to play their games.

see

Pedantic Grognard

Looks like baseball is getting a revised edition too. I feel this is appropriate for this forum cause it shows willingness on a part of a game organization to examine itself and make adjustments to improve the game. Could WOTC learn a thing or two from the sports ball people on making changes to a beloved game?
I'll note that while MLB adopted extensive new rules, the purpose of the new rules was to make the game play more like it did 40 years ago, when there were shorter pauses between pitches and nobody played the shift. The changes in the rules were accordingly fundamentally reactionary, made to undo innovations in how the game was played.

So, I suspect whether you want WotC to "learn a thing or two" from MLB depends on how much you want them to push players to play the game like it was played back in 1983.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'll note that while MLB adopted extensive new rules, the purpose of the new rules was to make the game play more like it did 40 years ago, when there were shorter pauses between pitches and nobody played the shift. The changes in the rules were accordingly fundamentally reactionary, made to undo innovations in how the game was played.

So, I suspect whether you want WotC to "learn a thing or two" from MLB depends on how much you want them to push players to play the game like it was played back in 1983.
If you put the bolded forward as a motion I'll second it in a heartbeat. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads