• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) If baseball can change, D&D can change too

Looks like baseball is getting a revised edition too. I feel this is appropriate for this forum cause it shows willingness on a part of a game organization to examine itself and make adjustments to improve the game. Could WOTC learn a thing or two from the sports ball people on making changes to a beloved game?

Looks like baseball is getting a revised edition too. I feel this is appropriate for this forum cause it shows willingness on a part of a game organization to examine itself and make adjustments to improve the game. Could WOTC learn a thing or two from the sports ball people on making changes to a beloved game?
You're implying that changes will not be made which is not something I can agree with.

Your position should rather be not enough of a revision is being done.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Its the biggest rule change in Baseball since 1975, in the same time D&D has gone through 10 rules overhauls, 3 with WotC - your analogy is severely lacking and Im not seeing your point

or do you want to discuss how the baseball changes are about making it faster and more exciting for spectators? Maybe you want DnD to follow suite?

To be fair to the OP, they are not referring to changes already done but rather with the next iteration of the game - as his prefix is 5.5e or 1D&D and not D&D in general, hence my post did not labour on the changes made by previous editions,

Retreater

Legend
I think the equivalent to the 2024 D&D update will be if MLB were to say, the Blue Jays and Cardinals are going to use a shot clock but teams playing against them can choose if their pitchers are going to use them or not. Make the plate sizes bigger for the Astros. Etc.
But in the baseball analogy, teams can't just decide which updates to follow. They're not playing a confusing hodgepodge of a game because MLB is scared to change it.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I think the equivalent to the 2024 D&D update will be if MLB were to say, the Blue Jays and Cardinals are going to use a shot clock but teams playing against them can choose if their pitchers are going to use them or not. Make the plate sizes bigger for the Astros. Etc.
But in the baseball analogy, teams can't just decide which updates to follow. They're not playing a confusing hodgepodge of a game because MLB is scared to change it.

Actually, that's not it at all.

The changes to MLB have a very specific genesis. The best analogy would be if everyone in D&D started optimizing, and that caused combats to become even more slow and boring as everyone (including monsters) used the same tactics of "go nova or go home", and it made it so that no matter every table started playing the exact same small number of options (because there's only a few optimal choices), and then the popularity of D&D started waning because no one wanted to play long, boring games with interminable combats and everyone sitting around waiting for the next optimized nova.*

Something like that. Now, I understand what you're doing- trying to project your distaste for change in D&D to the current situation, but given the past editions of D&D, calling the projected changes a hodgepodge is not exactly accurate. IMO.

*For those who don't know, the systemic issues in baseball are the result of people finally fully understanding and working the math. Which was great for a while, but it has led to a situation where the game itself has become noticeably worse.

the Jester

Legend

Are they changing the rules to sell more bats and balls, or to actually improve the game?

The current D&D revision looks to me like it includes changes for their own sake that don't actually improve the game. I'm not sure the revision will be an overall improvement or will make my game better.

I thought they already did? Cut tons of tedious rules so a skilled DM can focus on the action. Look at Critial Role!
Its the biggest rule change in Baseball since 1975, in the same time D&D has gone through 10 rules overhauls, 3 with WotC - your analogy is severely lacking and Im not seeing your point

or do you want to discuss how the baseball changes are about making it faster and more exciting for spectators? Maybe you want DnD to follow suite?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads