If Gaming Wasn't Your Hobby...?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
…I'm left thinking - what could I be doing with my life if I wasn't so invested in RPGs?
In m case, I have lots of hobbies. Most that have fallen by the wayside did so because of factors having nothing to do with gaming whatsoever, and gaming grew into those absences.

Of those I came to contemporaneously or after gaming, probably the biggest would be musical performance, specifically voice, acoustic & electric guitar and electric bass. If it weren’t for gaming, I might be doing THAT professionally as a studio musician or teacher. (I don’t have dreams of big recording contracts and arena tours.)

Because... everyone's got a spare hay bale elevator in their basement?
What, don't you? lol.
So I started gaming in 78 at the age of 7. I had four hobbies, D&D, music, a love of militaria and computers. When I grew up, I joined the Army as an Intel analyst copying codes on computers. While in, I garnered a spot playing percussion as a session musician in a national professional touring group. I also started hobknobbing with some weirdos on this gaming website and started producing the music for something called the ENnie awards and when I moved back home, worked in the workshops for True Dungeon. Since then I have gone back to professional music. So, nope, not sure what would have changed. LMAO

GuyBoy

Hero
I sew, read, sculpt with polymer clay, write creatively, and care for cats. I am certain I would do all these plus other crafts.
You have very decent cats; most would see all the preceeding hobbies as an invitation to create carnage!
Sew = chase the cotton threads
Read = push book with face
Write creatively = sit on keyboard
And as for cats with polymer clay.........

univoxs

That's my dog, Walter
Supporter
I was just thinking about how much time, money, and other resources I put into the gaming hobby. What other things did I do with my time before I got fully invested in gaming?

1. I wrote novels. [Now I write adventures for my players.]
2. I read (a lot). [Now I read gaming books.]
3. I played more video games. [Now I play RPGs on VTT.]
4. I wrote and recorded music. [Again, that time goes into RPGs.]

Not to say this is a bad thing. It's a good hobby, and I've met many wonderful friends. But I'm left thinking - what could I be doing with my life if I wasn't so invested in RPGs?
I did and do the exact things you mention. I still record stuff from time to time but all my time I spent writing short stories has gone into adventure writing and RPG book reading. I actually plan to close down one of the three weekly sessions I run to dedicate time to writing fiction again. Maybe even take a class.

I would also do more miniature gaming and building of terrain.

Gilladian

Adventurer
You have very decent cats; most would see all the preceeding hobbies as an invitation to create carnage!
Sew = chase the cotton threads
Read = push book with face
Write creatively = sit on keyboard
And as for cats with polymer clay.........
You think they don’t? Hahahaha….

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I used to do a lot of bird hunting and skeet shooting when I was younger. Had I not gotten heavily into RPGs, I probably would have pursued competitive shooting as a hobby.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I used to do a lot of bird hunting and skeet shooting when I was younger. Had I not gotten heavily into RPGs, I probably would have pursued competitive shooting as a hobby.
Nice, I was just thinking its been a long time since I last shot some clay pigeons.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases