If Gibberlings don't make it into Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, I'll be mildly upset!

What should I do if Gibberlings are not included in the new book?

• Write a letter and complain to the company.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Rant-and-rave on a 3rd party web forum.

• Tweet an angry tweet!

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Make a YouTube video yelling at Mike Mearls and demand Gibberlings!

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Blame the Drow.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Make a homebrew 5e equivalent.

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Browse the DMs Guild for one.

• Retreat to the wild, dig a deep hole, and become the Gibberling.

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • Nothing, do absolutely nothing.

Votes: 11 17.2%

I'm just wondering why the ones in Baldur's Gate were on the surface, especially if they hate light.

Bringing up Baldur's Gate is another reason why I'm a bit surprised gibberlings haven't been updated already. This edition very much draws upon nostalgia, and playing the Baldur's Gate CRPGs would seemingly be part of that. We had xvarts updated in Volo's (somewhat to my surprise at least), but for some reason they have so far held back on gibberlings. Here's to hoping!

Slit518

Adventurer
Bringing up Baldur's Gate is another reason why I'm a bit surprised gibberlings haven't been updated already. This edition very much draws upon nostalgia, and playing the Baldur's Gate CRPGs would seemingly be part of that. We had xvarts updated in Volo's (somewhat to my surprise at least), but for some reason they have so far held back on gibberlings. Here's to hoping!

When I opened the Monster Manual, I was disappointed.

When I opened Volo's Guide, where I thought they would be added, I was disappointed.

I have a feeling when I open Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, I will be disappointed yet again.

It was cool to see the Xvarts though. That did surprise me.

When I opened the Monster Manual, I was disappointed.

When I opened Volo's Guide, where I thought they would be added, I was disappointed.

I have a feeling when I open Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, I will be disappointed yet again.

It was cool to see the Xvarts though. That did surprise me.

Volo's had 99 pages of monsters in its Bestiary chapter.

Given the page number visible in the Astral Dreadnought preview (117), we can estimate that Mordenkainen's will have about 150 - 160 pages in its Bestiary chapter. Granted, a good amount of those will be taken up with demons and devils (given the page numbers on the Moloch preview (176 - 177)), but there is still plenty of room for random creatures to get updated. I'm thinking there's a pretty good chance for gibberlings...

Slit518

Adventurer
Now this makes me wonder what a Gibberling PC would be like.

Gibberling
Their short, pale, grayish skin is covered in a thick, coarse black fur. Their fur is knotted, greasy, clumped with dirt, and filled with bugs. Their skin is rife with callouses, scrapes, blisters, bumps, and oozy, pussy (as in puss) lumps.
A Gibberlings eyes are extremely sensitive to light. They shy away from even it's most meager presence. They prefer the isolation of total dark, or in some cases, to travel the surface during the night time.
Gibberlings are a mad, raving bunch. Making clicks, hoots, howls, and what sounds like laughing. They usually travel in packs of 8 or more, and are rarely ever alone. They scavenge whatever they can find, usually a large rock, some bones, or even discarded treasure.
Racial Traits
Age – Gibberlings are weird creatures, and not much is known about them.
Size – Between 3-4 feet tall, and weighing 50-80 lbs. Your size is small.
Speed – 30 feet
Language – Inane Muttering, if you know another language or languages, you can understand the other spoken language, but you can only speak it in broken pieces, which requires twice the amount of time to speak it. You also don't have the coordination or patience to write any of the language out aside from crude cave drawings.
Ability Score Increase – +2 Dexterity
Darkvision – You have a darkvision of 120 feet, but you also suffer Light Sensitivity in the presence of bright light. While in the presence of bright light you suffer Disadvantage to all of your rolls.
Mania - You are filled with an overwhelming excitement and blood lust. You just want to touch, see, and experience everything. But, at the same time you also want to taste everything, usually teeth first. You make all Wisdom saves at Disadvantage. If you haven't bitten a living creature and tasted it's blood, felt it squirm in your mouth, heard it scream, etc... in at least the past 24 hours, you must make a Wisdom save vs a DC of 10, on a failed save attack the nearest living creature (except for another Gibberling). For every 24 hours you go without fulfilling this crazy blood lust, the DC to resist increases by 5. It resets once you bite an unsuspecting victim.
Landmass Traverser - You have proficiency in the Athletics and Acrobatics skills. Anytime you make a skill check using either Athletics or Acrobatics to climb or squeeze through a tight space you have Advantage on the ability check.
Infested - You are infested with mites or fleas. These do not bother you, and you are quite use to them. Due to your intense infestation you can ward off a day's worth of hunger by eating your own infestation. You must wait a week before you can do so again. You also infest an area with your bugs once you have spent an hour or more there. Infested creatures other than yourself suffer Disadvantage on attack rolls.
Infected - You are infected with weird diseases and infections. You give off a noxious smell in a 30' radius. Creatures must pass a Constitution save DC 10 or be distracted by the smell, losing their Reaction. A creature that fails it's save can repeat it at the end of each of it's turns. On a successful save a creature can not be effected by the noxious smell of a Gibberling for 24 hours. You also have Advantage on Constitution saves vs Disease.

Not bad for a 5-10 minute thought.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
I do love Gibberlings.

We had a dwarf player character die staging against a horde of them - near maximum 'number encountered' rolled that day.

It was glorious. Their axe became a magical weapon right there and was discovered by another party IRL years later.

Crazy gibbering loons <3

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Please do. I like themed monster collections, and I'm always eager to check out what my fellow posters have found that they consider decent.

AS FORETOLD BY ANCIENT PROPHECY:

Classic Monster
Conversions
by Mark Stout.

I wouldn't consider this to be amazing work - and you really need the original source to have all the "fluff" and behavior of the monster - but its' a really solid start. Quite satisfied with my purchase, 4/5 stars. :)

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/209...ersions-5e?term=classic+monster+&test_epoch=0

Eis

Explorer
I do love Gibberlings.

We had a dwarf player character die staging against a horde of them - near maximum 'number encountered' rolled that day.

It was glorious. Their axe became a magical weapon right there and was discovered by another party IRL years later.

Crazy gibbering loons <3

holy crap their axe became a magical weapon and was discovered in real life?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases