• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E If the Starter Set really was as re-playable as Settlers of Catan

"I wouldn’t want to buy a Settlers of Catan intro set, and then never play it again so that I go out and buy the real stuff."
-Mike Mearls interview June 2012​

My experience with Pathfinder Beginner Box:
Though I like the Pathfinders Beginner Box (the only RPG I've bought in the last couple years) and admire Paizo, I felt the same way once we finished that adventure.

Background: I'd played a little bit of 3e back in the day, but I skipped over the 4e era. My friends and I have been playing Catan and Dixit over the past couple years. I recently decided to dip our toes in roleplaying. But when we played the Pathfinder adventure, and the black dragon few away, it really hit me that D&D can be an expensive hobby.

Sure, the dungeon map could be re-used, and there are some free Pathfinder Beginner adventures to download, and some Third Party basic Pathfinder adventures, but it still felt like--wow, that was sorta fun, but there's this $40 box (including shipping and 'handling') full of stuff that is no longer clearly or directly useful for playing ever again.

A Catan-like experience of re-play:
In contrast, the Catan set is used over and over again. Granted, settling Catan is, in my perspective, not quite as fun as clearing a dungeon, but re-useability is 'assumed' and 'expected'--it's built into the set.

I’m trying to imagine: What would a D&D Starter Set (or any D&D adventure) look like if it were really crafted to be a complete game in itself, like Catan, which was meant to be played over and over again, without ever ‘having’ to buy another expansion pack? People read novels over again and watch films more than once--why not play the same adventure over again? We don’t play it again because we already know where most of the traps and puzzles are by the end. It’s ‘spoiled’. And because it's an inherent part of an rpg to advance through character levels, and go to other places.

The Basic D&D download goes a long way towards making any single D&D adventure re-usable. Yet I’m allowing myself to imagine what it would take for a single Starter Set to be an entire D&D game which is meant to be played and played again.

Blue-sky thoughts:
The region is the world. The regional map of the Starter Set is (or could be considered to be), essentially, the entire world. The Classic D&D-era Thunder Rift setting is an example. The Jakandor mini-setting of 2e is another. Nentir Vale, if that had been the extent of Nerath, is another.

Some sort of (optional) justification for re-playing the adventure over and over--even a gonzo far-out justification.

Like at the end of the adventure it says:

Where to go from here? There are four options:

A) Use the random dungeon generator to re-boot the D&D World of Phandalin. Play over and over like Settlers of Catan. Like settling the continent of Catan, each game is a discrete re-enactment of the story of the five characters in the D&D World of Phandalin. The randomization makes each session unique. There's even the option of randomizing the location of the dungeons. Look for free web-enhancements which offer other pre-gen characters and 're-skins' of the same dungeon.

B) In the same way that Catan offers optional maps for playing the same game (for example, Catan New York, a single poster for only $5). Look for other 'geographies' or 'starter worlds' which are available for a minimal price, such as Nentir Vale, the Thunder Rift, Threshold, and the Keep on the Borderlands. Like the World of Phandalin, these are crafted for use with the Starter Set, and feature a series of adventures from levels 1 to 5.

C) Download the free Basic D&D rules and advance your characters to level 20. The BD&D e-book includes random dungeon generators reaching up to level 20. Play an entire campaign in the World of Phandalin fighting randomized 'spawned' monsters in the dungeons and countryside. The other 'Starter Worlds' could be grafted to the edge of the Phandalin map however you wish--there is also the option of considering those places to be alternate worlds which the characters enter through 'world gates'.

D) If you want an Advanced Game, purchase the PHB, MM, and DMG, and expand the D&D World of Phandalin however you wish. The Forgotten Realms are offered as one 'campaign model' for expanding the map beyond the Phandalin Environs. But the DMG gives step-by-step guidelines for homebrewing your own world, with its own map, and its own name, beyond the confines of Phandalin.

Granted, there's nothing stopping people from playing the same thing over again--but it's not really 'baked into' the game as a viable, interesting option.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
An interesting thing to wish for from a hobby where all you need to play is pencil, paper, dice and a copy of the rulebook. I've always seen all of my RPGs as infinitely more replayable than any of the board games I own.

But, I suppose the jist of the post is how to make the adventure in the box reusable? That's tough. Unlike a board game, where each game is often self-contained and laying it again means starting over and assuming the last game was never played, RPGs convey an ongoing story, even one as simple as, "We were that level and cleared out that dungeon, now we're this level, let's clear out that one." Reusing the same material over and over doesn't work for a lot of the material.

Now the "hometown and area" material certainly is reusable. As you say, the starter adventure sounds expandable and more like The Secret of Bone Hill than Night's Dark Terror. Lakofka's Lendore Isles were definitely set up as a sandbox type area to explore and add upon, which is what Lost Mine of Phandelver looks like to me from the description. But I guess we'll see when it comes out.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Pretty much the minis games they already sell are reusable board games. Some hybrid of those and DND get what you are asking for

jcrowland

First Post
How many times has anyone played Village Of Hommlet? I have DMed it countless times. As a standalone adventure, part of Temple of Elemental Evil, Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, the 4E conversion in Dungeon (Hommel Lane?) and its 5e version. Each of those more than once. I've always used it as my own personal "Starter Set", and will likely do so again. But if the starter set lives up to it, maybe I will change. (granted, I'll run the starter set, but it may or not be my go-to like Hommlet has been).

Each time it was for D&D curious people. I wasn't going to start and prep a whole new campaign, I just wanted people to get a feel for the game. I think if the starter set does that, it will be a win.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
A good way to ensure reusability is to include rules that remains valid for standard D&D and thus referenceable in future games and include an adventure with multiple courses and possible endings so that replayability can be an option for it as well.

I too don't want the D&D Starter Set to have a short life cycle and end up collecting dust on its magnificient cover and appreciate that WoTC has made effort to increase its versatility.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The thing is that the Starter Set isn't a game in a box, in a classic sense. You don't expect everyone to buy it, have it in their homes, and haul it out when you get bored and want something to do.

It is a *starter* set. A thing to get you started. Once you are started, you don't need or use the starter set any more - at that point, you're using Basic, which is free. It isn't really replayable, any more than any other adventure module is replayable.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
How many times has anyone played Village Of Hommlet? I have DMed it countless times. As a standalone adventure, part of Temple of Elemental Evil, Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, the 4E conversion in Dungeon (Hommel Lane?) and its 5e version. Each of those more than once. I've always used it as my own personal "Starter Set", and will likely do so again. But if the starter set lives up to it, maybe I will change. (granted, I'll run the starter set, but it may or not be my go-to like Hommlet has been).
Yeah, I had no interest in the Starter Set until they said it was a 5E Keep on the Borderlands-style adventure by Keith Baker. My interest is now definitely piqued.

To answer the OP's question, if they had a full set of 4E-style Dungeon Tiles, some good minis, good quality dice and so on, I'd prefer that. I replay Dungeon! with my family all the time, and a Starter Set that replicated even that level of game play would be very welcome.

Agamon

Adventurer

Each time it was for D&D curious people. I wasn't going to start and prep a whole new campaign, I just wanted people to get a feel for the game. I think if the starter set does that, it will be a win.

This is a good point. I've played with a lot of different people over the years and reused a lot of adventures, some of them 4 or 5 times. Some with the same people 20 or 30 years later, and they don't remember it, too.

Replay value for adventures isn't huge, but it's there. And as a DM, if you change things up a bit, there can be a lot of replay.

Pretty much the minis games they already sell are reusable board games. Some hybrid of those and DND get what you are asking for

Something which is actually a complete RPG-in-a-box, but somehow has the option of being played like WotC's co-operative board games (Castle Ravenloft, Legend of Driz'zt). And which is seamlessly compatible with advanced RPG options.

Anyway, if Phandalin really evokes the mood of B10: Night's Dark Terror, that'd be swell. Combined with BD&D...even better.

Last edited:

Remove ads