• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If Thoughts Could Kill

GruTheWanderer

First Post
When Groknar reaches the temple of Kord, the priests casts speak with dead. Tarkus answers the call, but reveals that he is content as a petitioner on the plane of Ysgard, fighting until he drops during the day and rising again in the morning.

His fellow priests cheer when they hear Tarkus' description of Kord's Great Hall, and they do their best to encourage Groknar (not knowing how the barbarian will react to his brother's unwillingness to return).

Hammerhead

Explorer
Groknar reacts calmly and rationally, given his circumstances and personality. He starts repeatedly pounding Tarkus's corpse with his fists, repeating over and over again Come back, brother! Come back!

Snarling, he turns away from the corpse, tears streaming down his face. The half-orc storms out of Kord's temple, fists and teeth clenched. Even Jobu was silent.

Groknar wasn't sure who to blame for his brother's death. Tulmercy the lich, for killing him with cruel waves of fire and force while cowardly immobilizing him. Kord, for stopping Tarkus from returning to his brother. Tarkus himself, for not coming back, instead staying as an eternal petitioner. Darian, the tricksy wizard. Verra, a Chosen. Zelestine, the woman Tarkus died protecting, another Chosen. Himself, the mighty and unbeatable Groknar, who defeated the lich. But not fast enough. In his rage, he cared more for bloodshed and carnage than his brother's life. Could he have saved him? Groknar wasn't sure who to blame.

He was sure, however, that someone, anyone, was going to pay dearly.

Groknar will return to his companions. Brother stay dead, he says, fighting back tears. Then, he grabs Darian's shoulder. Wizard-man, you help me find dead guy. Me want kill dead guy for good. How?

Last edited:

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Verra shook he head to clear the after-effects of the vision and wiped the drool from the side of his mouth. "That was interesting," he remarked, "Anyone know where the Place of the Azure Emperor is located?"

"And how come we're late. It just told us where to go," Verra said as he shrugged.

Victim

First Post
"In order to kill a lich, you first have to destroy his soul gem, otherwise it will just create a new body in a few days. He'll have undoubtedly hidden it away someplace and surrounded it with deadly traps. Perhaps one of the seers here can help us find it later."

"Perhaps we're late because it waited for Tulmercy to reform before sending the vision. If that's the case, then our attack achieved very little. Perhaps we should attempt to recruit additional allies. As for the Palace of the Azure Emperor ... "

OOC: Knowledge skills, GO! Arcana +20, Psionics +8, History +10, Nobility and Royalty +10, Geography +10

Keia

I aim to misbehave
"I thought we destroyed the vessel, wasn't it on him when Groknar chopped him up into very fine parts," Verra asked.

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Zelestine responds to Darian, "Your comment about allies is well founded. I have taken the liberty of inviting Qataria, a former adventuring companion of mine, to join us on this quest. I regret the loss of Tarkus and William, but we must prevent Tulmercy and Ellyn from controlling the Crystal Consciousness, at any cost."

From his own studies, Darian recalls that the Palace of the Azure Emperor is in the Badlands, a region of tortured earth and bare stone far to the west. The Palace was destroyed long ago, but its ruins are marked on some maps of the region.

Darian also knows that the "Azure Emperor" was a psion of great power who lived an age long past, best known for bequeathing the discipline of Metacreativity to the world. He was said to wield an unbelievable artifact, though no record remains of what it may have been. Though he lived a long, long life, when he finally died his seat of power fell into ruin. Neither he nor his artifact, nor members of his court, were ever seen again.

Victim

First Post
"Indeed. We cannot allow a lich to reshape one of the 3 methods of harnessing magical energy to his liking."

"The Palace of the Azure Emperor is far to west in the Badlands region. We should be able to find it's location on some maps. While a blind teleport over that distance might be a bit risky, I think it's necessary to reach the palace before Ellwyn and Tulmercy. The emperor himself was responsible for the Metacreation discipline, possibly because he had the same opportunity that you too now have."

"I don't recall seeing any item, destroyed or not, that could serve as the necessary focus. Also, the folly of carrying around one's soulstone is staggering. It circumvents the main purpose of becoming a lich."

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Although it would be moderately fun to send you a tangent right now, you teleport to the Palace of the Azure Emperor safely.

Broken lines of eroded stone reveal the foundation of a structure razed long ago. Now, only a few half-walls, crumbling columns, and enigmatic piles of rubble remain. Near the very center of the ruin, a 10-foot square opening leads down into darkness. The opening is square, clean, and - unlike the surrounding ruins - appears recent.

The shaft is smooth, composed of polished granite blocks shot through with crystalline impurities (a very difficult climb unassisted).

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Bellus moves forward cautiously to get a better look.
OoC: Spot,Listen and Search, specifically for loose rubble/unsafe footing.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Verra said, "That looks like a tough climb down. I'd be happy to spiderclimb anyone who cannot get down there on their own. I'm thinking I should conserve my power in this place for whoever we may face."

"Has anyone passed through here recently," Verra asked.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads