• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If Thoughts Could Kill

Victim

First Post
"Groknar, that creature seems trapped. If you insist on bashing through its prison, you'll free it. I have no wish to fight such a huge creature. If we can avoid a tough battle, then we should do so."

"Assuming that nothing attack us, I have a spell that should allow us to explore all 6 passages at very little risk."

If the creature retaliates against Groknar, Darian casts magic missiles at it with a contemptous flick of the wrist (CL 10, 5 1d4+1 missiles, versus SR +12).

If nothing attacks after a few rounds, then Darian says, "This spell will take a minute to cast. Be wary," and proceeds to cast Prying Eyes (1 min casting, 1d4+10 eyes created).

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Bellus, thinking along the same lines as his <non half-orc> companions blurts out 'Gods, have a care! that could be some Ally...I mean, it does look trapped...Perhaps it is some Wyrm from beyond Time and Space, bent on...er, never mind. ' Bellus readies an arrow to fire at the Thing, moving just to the left of the doorway, so that others can get past him.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Qataria turns to Zelestine as the orc charges by her, intent on attcking the goo. "Is he always like this, Z?" She asks, without drawing her sword, then casually walks up to them and gazes at the creature in the goo, trying to discern if it is evil. (Detect Evil)

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Groknar flies through the air, axe headed for the strange substance, then bounces halfway across the room. Not a scratch is left on the crystalline block. Undeterred, Groknar tries again (without leaping). Again his axe makes no impression.

The others move into the room, spells and weapons ready. Qataria casts detect evil, but her spell is also unable to pierce the barrier.

Looking at the transparent substance, Verra and Darian suspect it might be some form of solidified time (like the power quintessence, but much more stable).

After a minute passes, Darian casts prying eyes. Fourteen of the apple-sized orbs appear in the air around him.

What command would you like to give to your eyes (25 words)?

Last edited:

Victim

First Post
"Form groups of two. Each group should fully explore different passages from this room, then return. Return upon viewing another eye's demise."

The pair of eyes ordered to fully explore the exit to the room would never return. Hopefully, there would be no other exits, otherwise the eyes couldn't return.

GruTheWanderer

First Post
One pair of eyes barely leaves the room before one returns. It reports that its partner was destroyed by whitefire immediately inside the the central door on the west wall (A6). The eye saw a short hallway which opened onto a T-intersection.

One eye returns from the northern door on the west wall (A3). It reports a winding hallway of crystal-shot granite. Columns of blurred crystal are situated here and there down the hallway. A blurred form of a nightmarish creature seems trapped within each one. The eye's partner was destroyed by spear trap near the end of the hallway.

Two eyes return from the central door on the east wall (L6). They report a hallway containing three small alcoves - one at the far end and two at the center of the hall on either side of the corridor. Each alcove holds an urn inscribed with words from an ancient tongue (Thansatrol, Morstal, and Bokanathol).

Two eyes return from the southern door on the west wall (A10). They report a long corridor carved with relief images of hundreds of humanoid faces (the common races, lizardfolk, goblinoids, and a few monstrous races). Beyond the corridor lies a chamber, which appears to be filled with a swirling vortex of mist. In the mis dozens of ghostly faces silently scream. Through the mist is visible a well, 2 feet in diameter and filled with a clear, glowing liquid. The stylized, silhouted image of a lightning bolt seems embedded in the liquid.

Two eyes return from the southern door on the east wall (L10). They report a chamber with two humanoid occupants. Each is dressed in noble clothing and has a third eye in the center of their forehead. A mosaic of blue, green, orange, and purple tiles covers the walls, depicting decorative swirls, circles, and curves. A litter of sparkling dust and a few tiny shards of some crystal-like substance are scattered about the granite floor. Piles of dust around the room reveal furnishings that rotted away long ago. Beyond the chamber is a wide, empty room with more dust and shards. Beyond that room is a small chamber holding a well like the previous one (with a stylized image of wings instead of a lightning bolt).

No eyes return from the northern doorway on the east wall (L3).

Attachments

• thoughts16.gif
    thoughts16.gif
    13.3 KB · Views: 134

Keia

I aim to misbehave
"What an amazing spell," Verra comments. "Well, what do we deal with: an immediate threat (the whitefire) or something somewhat safe (the urns). I suggest we deal with the whitefire before they tell everyone we're here - whoever 'they' are."

Hammerhead

Explorer
White fire? Dead bad guy use white fire. White fire bad! Me find dead bad guy and kill him! What we wait for? Time to eat axe! Groknar slams his axe into the timeless substance once more, for emphasis. He then looks confused, looking around him at the vault.

Jobu say something, but me not understand. Oh well. Why we here again? To find dead guy and kill him?

Last edited:

Victim

First Post
Darian raises an eyebrow at Verra's comment. "Indeed. It's one of my highest order spells. It probably would be wisest to remove the whitefire weilder first. Of course, it could have been a simple trap. I'm also rather worried about that corridor," he points to L3, "since the defenders where able to destroy both eyes."

Darian patiently explains, "No Groknar, we are hear to prevent our enemies from irresponsibly or maliciously altering the psionic disciplines for their own ends. Remember the, ahem, 'bad wizard lady' who shot lightning? You don't want her to change the way magic works, then come after you with greater power, right?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads