• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If WotC decided to revitalize and support AD&D, would you play/buy it?

Would you support and/or play an new WotC AD&D?

• Yes! I would purchase it and play it.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • Sort of ! I would definitely buy it, but may or may not play it.

Votes: 27 13.1%
  • Sort of, redux! I wouldn't buy it, but I'd play it.

Votes: 22 10.7%
  • No! I would neither buy it nor play it.

Votes: 131 63.6%

Stormtower

First Post
With all respect to AD&D... not a chance.

Both 4E and Pathfinder are far more mature, balanced and sophisticated systems for my D&D fantasy gaming. I love my AD&D books and the Gygaxian prose is still a pleasure to read, but the game itself has moved on, for me.

hazel monday

First Post
I'd play AD&D any day of the week. But I wouldn't trust WOTC to get it right. Their version of D&D isn't what I'd call D&D.

So TSR's AD&D? I'd be all about it.

WOTC's hypothetical AD&D? Wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft. pole.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Never in a million.... AD&D introduced me... but failed on so many counts - even parts I could have liked weren't faithful to themselves and drove me away - I would rather go play the latest RuneQuest or Fate or pure improvisational. Official is meaningless and for me and D&D now rocks of its own accord (without me piling on house rules only need a couple to sweeten the pot)... it brought me back to the table... and I have many times the money to throw than I had as a kid.

I especially wouldn't be interested in it with the same people doing it... they never saw the flaws I did or considered them features... 3e from what I can tell (never played) at least gives a sense that you can design your character instead of straight jacketing and the newer version continues that as well as making beginning wizards feel competent and magical without being completely world dominating at high levels!!! awesome..
I can envision magic much closer to as I want it .. instead of being nailed down by a bad rendering of Jack Vances magic check out Dying Earth if you like JV (which is intensionally unlike anything in myth or legend).

Obryn

Hero
I still enjoy 1e, and still have plenty of material for it. It's my current second-favorite edition of D&D. I don't think WotC supporting it would make any difference at all in how often I play it; I was doing so recently, in fact, but it sadly fell apart due to my schedule.

-O

Mallus

Legend
I already own it, why would I buy it again? And if I suddenly got the hankering to play AD&D, I'd houserule the hell out of it, design a new setting, and gut some classic modules for whatever adventure-y things I didn't feel like making myself (for instance: maps!).

Which is kinda exactly what my groups did the first time around...

Holy Bovine

First Post
I'm surprised at the results of this poll - nearly 57% voted they would neither buy nor play a 'new' AD&D. I wonder what % of those already own the 1E books and have no need to buy them nor inclination to play them. Myself while I wouldn't buy a 'new' 1E I would gladly play it - using my old books.

Raven Crowking

First Post
I would certainly play AD&D using my old books, and I've even considered running it again. If anything could pull me away from RCFG, AD&D 1e would be it. But, I wouldn't expect to buy or play new books simply because WotC published them.

RC

Khairn

First Post
I wouldn't buy it or make plans to play it. But if another GM invited me to a game I would probably join in. I played and ran many great games of AD&D, and have lots of fond memories. But these days I'm looking for something else in the systems I play.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
It depends on the materials produced. I'll admit, I like a lot of the changes in AD&D editions over the years, particularly the feats in 3.5/PF and skills in PF, but an amalgam of 1e and 2e is far and away my perfered backup fantasy RPG to PF.

If Paizo were to be blown into the Pacific by renewed vulcanism in the Cascades, and WotC were to somehow survive it and put out decent 1e-oriented AD&D materials, I'd buy and play it.

Edit: Mind you, I'm not holding my breath.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I played AD&D1 for about a decade and a half, (even when AD&D2 was the current edition). Sort of. Turns out I was playing a hybrid of B/XD&D and AD&D1.

D&D3 (core) is how I like to play D&D, and it feels like the natural evolution of how I was actually playing AD&D -- an evolution of B/XD&D and AD&D.

I still own all my AD&D1 materials. If I wanted to play AD&D1, as written, I'd use that material. If I wanted to play AD&D1 as I used to actually play it, I'd play D&D3 without feats and skills.

So, no, I wouldn't buy a reprint of material I already own and never played strictly as it was written anyway.

Bullgrit

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads