• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you heard the term "crunch renaissance"...

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I would probably react negatively. There is far too much crunch in most games, these days. I certainly don't think it needs a Renaissance.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I would probably react negatively. There is far too much crunch in most games, these days. I certainly don't think it needs a Renaissance.

Really? I feel that the market has been doing much the opposite. Perception is everything, I guess.

Yora

Legend
Sounds like there are people who think current games have "too simple rules" and want to go back to rules like in older games. And I have to say that older rules systems were often just plain terrible with complexity that was simply the result of not thinking things through.
There are good things to take away from older games, but those things would be a quantitive lack of crunch, not increasing crunch.

Obryn

Hero
Really? I feel that the market has been doing much the opposite. Perception is everything, I guess.
No, I would agree with you, and I would - in addition to reacting kind of negatively to anything praising its high level of crunch - think you/they were making the "crunch renaissance" up. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No, I would agree with you, and I would - in addition to reacting kind of negatively to anything praising its high level of crunch - think you/they were making the "crunch renaissance" up. :)

Yes, I made it up. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was a current phrase or anything. I was interested in what the words conveyed.

Though I am (apparently the only) fan of crunch!

Obryn

Hero
Yes, I made it up. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was a current phrase or anything. I was interested in what the words conveyed.

Though I am (apparently the only) fan of crunch!
Oh, no, I knew that. ;)

I meant making the "phenomenon" up, if you will. A renaissance, to me, implies a movement of sorts, and I don't see this sort of movement happening anywhere.

e:
vvvv Well, then glad to help!! vvv

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh, no, I knew that. ;)

I meant making the "phenomenon" up, if you will. A renaissance, to me, implies a movement of sorts, and I don't see this sort of movement happening anywhere.

Yeah, there's no movement. I was just wondering what the words said to you - movement being very high on that list of possibilities! So yeah, you answered what I was asking. :)

Ahnehnois

First Post
To me, the phrase conveyed a sense that new mechanics would be introduced that were revolutionary and revelatory. Not merely another way of getting +1 to this and that once a day, but the idea that each block of text you read (and pay for) should add something new to the reader's understanding of what the game means.

I also thought [MENTION=6753119]Tom Strickland[/MENTION] had a very good response.

... what would that say to you, if anything? Would you see it as a positive or negative?

I'd see it as a pointer to games I don't have time to learn and certainly don't have time to teach others to play. Neither a positive nor a negative, but a "Not what I want - but I'm glad people are having fun with it."

Remove ads