D&D 5E If you use thunderstep but teleport less than 10 feet do you take damage?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
As I said, I've provided an interpretation, but as usual with the 5e rules, there is no absolute certainty and it's up to the DM to provide his own ruling. What I objected to was @commandercrud trying to imply that there was only one when it's clearly not the case.

After that, in terms of coolness factor, I can see merit in both interpretations, they can both look cool, and honestly it's not like that spell is overpowered in itself, it's nice, and a bit of flexibility rarely hurt anyone. What I think is important is the potentiality to harm others in the party of the caster, actually.
The real question is, what happens if you Thunder Step(or other teleport) into an anti-magic area? The reappearance is magical, so would be blocked. The disappearance wasn't in an anti-magic zone, so it goes off without a hitch.

Does the spell fail completely? Would you have the caster appear in the anti-magic zone? Would you have him disappear and only re-appear once the zone is gone(if it ever goes away)? Or is the caster thrown into some other plane?

Vaalingrade

Legend
It's pretty clear that the boom happens in the instant between you blipping out and blipping back again. Otherwise it wouldn't go out of its way to note that it happens 'after you disappear'.

Any other interpretation just feels like bending the rules to punish the caster.

jasper

Rotten DM
Thunderstep spell:

You teleport yourself to an unoccupied space you can see within range. Immediately after you disappear, a thunderous boom sounds, and each creature within 10 feet of the space you left must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 3d10 thunder damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The thunder can be heard from up to 300 feet away.

What if you only move yourself 10 feet, do you take damage from it?

It says immediately after you disappear, not sure if that is before you reappear if you also reappear immediately after you disappear.
You take damage because the spell does not give a teleport duration.

jasper

Rotten DM
The real question is, what happens if you Thunder Step(or other teleport) into an anti-magic area? The reappearance is magical, so would be blocked. The disappearance wasn't in an anti-magic zone, so it goes off without a hitch.

Does the spell fail completely? Would you have the caster appear in the anti-magic zone? Would you have him disappear and only re-appear once the zone is gone(if it ever goes away)? Or is the caster thrown into some other plane?
is he my ride to the game? Did the caster bring me chocolate? Drink the last soda? Am I doing slapstick tonight?
Answer those questions three before I give you my answer.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
is he my ride to the game? Did the caster bring me chocolate? Drink the last soda? Am I doing slapstick tonight?
Answer those questions three before I give you my answer.
1. No, you're the DM. They come to YOU.
2. Yes, but it was M&M Peanuts, so it wasn't pure chocolate.
3. No. They wouldn't dare take the DM's last soda in his own house.
4. No. Serious game.

And that was four questions three. :unsure:

Perhaps they just vanish forever. :unsure:

jasper

Rotten DM
1. No, you're the DM. They come to YOU.
2. Yes, but it was M&M Peanuts, so it wasn't pure chocolate.
3. No. They wouldn't dare take the DM's last soda in his own house.
4. No. Serious game.

And that was four questions three. :unsure:
Pointing out the DM can count due to peanuts being in his throat is not good. :)
....if you Thunder Step(or other teleport) into an anti-magic area? The reappearance is magical, so would be blocked. The disappearance wasn't in an anti-magic zone, so it goes off without a hitch.
If I was being nice, reappear just outside the zone.
If I was being nasty, spell fails since you can't reappear in the zone.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
That's not desperately helpful, since Teleport is not the same spall, but the fact that it needs to state that the teleport is instant implies that sometimes teleportation is not instant.
I would take it as a definition of the word teleport for game purposes, that teleportation is instant transportation.

Remove ads