• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E If you use thunderstep but teleport less than 10 feet do you take damage?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Pointing out the DM can count due to peanuts being in his throat is not good. :)
....if you Thunder Step(or other teleport) into an anti-magic area? The reappearance is magical, so would be blocked. The disappearance wasn't in an anti-magic zone, so it goes off without a hitch.
If I was being nice, reappear just outside the zone.
If I was being nasty, spell fails since you can't reappear in the zone.
I would actually lean towards coming out in some other plane. Probably the ethereal or astral. When you teleport you travel through some other dimension. Since the spell goes out without a hitch and you vanish, but are unable to reappear, I'd say you are stuck in that other dimension.

Lyxen

Great Old One
From the spell teleport (bolding added):
This spell instantly transports you and up to eight willing creatures of your choice that you can see within range, or a single object that you can see within range, to a destination you select.​

As shown above, it does not describe teleportation in general but only This spell. :p

So it's not applicable, sorry.

Lyxen

Great Old One
The real question is, what happens if you Thunder Step(or other teleport) into an anti-magic area? The reappearance is magical, so would be blocked. The disappearance wasn't in an anti-magic zone, so it goes off without a hitch.

It does not work exactly that way, it's not because the reapparance is magical, it's because the spell is expressly written that way: "Teleportation and planar travel fail to work in the sphere, whether the sphere is the destination or the departure point for such magical travel."

So the teleportation in general "fails to work".

Does the spell fail completely? Would you have the caster appear in the anti-magic zone? Would you have him disappear and only re-appear once the zone is gone(if it ever goes away)? Or is the caster thrown into some other plane?

See above, it's general spell failure because the exit point is within the sphere.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
As shown above, it does not describe teleportation in general but only This spell. :p

So it's not applicable, sorry.
Teleportation is teleportation is teleportation. In a game where they use the common language usage, they are not going to have multiple definitions of teleport floating around.
Agreed with Hriston and Maxperson. Why does thunder step use the word "teleport" instead of some other word, like "transport?" Misty step and dimension door also use the term teleport.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Teleportation is teleportation is teleportation. In a game where they use the common language usage, they are not going to have multiple definitions of teleport floating around.

But the above is not a definition, it's just the effect of that spell.

Note that I don't dispute the fact that teleportation is instantaneous, I dispute the fact that it's more instantaneous than a thunder explosion which is also instantaneous. And as my counterspell examples have shown, you can have an instantaneous effect interrupt another instantaneous effect to the extent that you have a "Schrödinger's cat" effect that means that you don't even know if the original spell was interrupted or not until you resolve the effect of a spell on another spell.

My point here is that while teleport does not dissociate appearance and disappearance, the description is specific to that spell, whereas thunder step makes a different, which is again specific for that spell, and in any case, specific beats general, so the specificities of thunder step would take precedence over any general definition of teleportation, even if one existed which is not the case since teleport only describes that spell. :)

Lyxen

Great Old One
Agreed with Hriston and Maxperson. Why does thunder step use the word "teleport" instead of some other word, like "transport?" Misty step and dimension door also use the term teleport.

So produce to me the definition of "teleport" in game term, because so far, we only have individual spell descriptions. Moreover, once more, prove to me that:
  • It's more instantaneous than other effects in the spell.
  • That the specific definition of Thunder Step, which is specific to that spell and therefore taking precedence over any other rule in the book, is not applicable in its dissociation of disappearance and appearance.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It does not work exactly that way, it's not because the reapparance is magical, it's because the spell is expressly written that way: "Teleportation and planar travel fail to work in the sphere, whether the sphere is the destination or the departure point for such magical travel."

So the teleportation in general "fails to work".
Fail to work IN THE SPHERE. The departure point is not in the sphere. The departure point would work outside of the sphere and then the teleportation destination point would fail to work in the sphere.

You are reading more into that statement than is written. It does not say that the spell fails to work, only that the teleportation within the sphere fails to work. :)

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
So produce to me the definition of "teleport" in game term, because so far, we only have individual spell descriptions.
I submit that by using the term "teleport," it is intended to accept the commonly held definition, one that the teleport spell itself makes clear. When most people think of magical teleportation, it is instantaneous.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But the above is not a definition, it's just the effect of that spell.
Teleportation is not going to work differently from one spell to another. Having it work differently in different spells does in fact create different definitions for teleportation.
Note that I don't dispute the fact that teleportation is instantaneous, I dispute the fact that it's more instantaneous than a thunder explosion which is also instantaneous. And as my counterspell examples have shown, you can have an instantaneous effect interrupt another instantaneous effect to the extent that you have a "Schrödinger's cat" effect that means that you don't even know if the original spell was interrupted or not until you resolve the effect of a spell on another spell.
It doesn't have to be more instantaneous. The question is whether the disappearance and reappearance are one effect or not. If they are, then once you disappear, you reappear at the same time so no other effect, instantaneous or not, can interrupt that. The game doesn't say that they are or are not the same effect, so it's a pure DM ruling on that issue.

Remove ads