• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you were a superhero...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
what would you wear? And why?

Not the question you were expecting, was it?

See, I've been thinking about this recently, having watched Unbreakable, Heroes & some other stuff on Sci-Fi and cable.

I mean, I know that whatever powers you'd have would influence your attire, but that aside, would you go 4-color (capes, tights, & masks) or practical (helmet, kevlar vest) or some kind of cultural attire (kilts, biker leathers, new wave/punk)?

Personally, I'd probably go practical. I'd wear mirrorshades, an oversized Russell Athletic hoodie with a kevlar vest underneath it, some modern combat boots (high-traction, dry & comfy), and a good pair of jeans. Yes, I'd have some form of utility belt- Batman got that right, at least. And, depending on my powers, some kind of weaponry would be in order- a staff or a nightstick, knives, flash grenades...possibly a high powered laser bought out of PopSci magazine, maybe a gun (but I doubt it).

Mycanid

First Post
Didja ever play 1e Villians and Vigilantes? :)

Such questions pop up quite a bit there, because it is you (the player) who is suddenly hit by a gamma-charged meteorite and transformed into _____. [Insert superhero title here.]

I think it depends entirely on what kinda hero you are! Probably my favorite V&V character was a named "Mistic", and he looked a kinda like the Flaming Torch, but he was surrounded by grey mist instead of flames. The outfit really doesn't matter in this case.

And what if you are a high tech wonder, running around in a high tech suit like Iron Man? :p

Okay, okay ... sorry to quibble. Just thought I would raise some other points is all. ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I love playing superheroic characters- I've been playing Champions/HERO since it came out- and, like I said, it would partially depend on your powers.

If you were like Marvel's "The Angel," you'd have these 2 huge wings you'd have to be able to deploy rapidly...

And you'd think that Bruce Banner would dress in a lot of loose-cut spandex to save wear & tear (and embarrassment) when he becomes the Hulk.

The High-Tech wunderkinds have all kinds of solutions. I always envied Tony Stark's briefcase, for instance...although I'm pretty sure he'd have needed to make it out of a tesseract and have some kind of anti-gravity field on the thing.

But I was thinking more of the guys & gals who don't have any major visible changes, despite acquiring the "gift of the gods," as it were.

Ferret

Explorer
It would have to let me move and be flexible, i.e. not restrictive. At the same time I'd want something like nightcrawler's powers, or spiderman's. You can see my line of thinking....I want the agile wall crawling, jumping style powers with maybe TP but something else too. Until I know what that is my final word on the costume is on hold.

Kudos for those of you going practically. It makes sense and is still pretty cool!

Ranger REG

Explorer
Ferret said:
It would have to let me move and be flexible, i.e. not restrictive. At the same time I'd want something like nightcrawler's powers, or spiderman's. You can see my line of thinking....I want the agile wall crawling, jumping style powers with maybe TP but something else too. Until I know what that is my final word on the costume is on hold.

Kudos for those of you going practically. It makes sense and is still pretty cool!
True, but the reason for a costume is to distinguish your heroic persona in an emergency, so that you can wear normal clothings when you're not needed and trying to have a normal low-key life.

Unless you have one of those celebrity genes in you, the kind that crave public attention, like Britney Spears.

kenobi65

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
And you'd think that Bruce Banner would dress in a lot of loose-cut spandex to save wear & tear (and embarrassment) when he becomes the Hulk.

Apparently, in the Marvel universe, purple pants have a LOT of give to 'em.

Dannyalcatraz said:
I always envied Tony Stark's briefcase, for instance...although I'm pretty sure he'd have needed to make it out of a tesseract and have some kind of anti-gravity field on the thing.

I remember reading in the Official Encyclopedia of the Marvel Universe that the briefcase did, indeed, have an antigrav generator in it, for that reason. (The rest they handwaved away as most of the armor being a lot more flexible than it looks. :p)

kenobi65

First Post
Goldmoon said:
I'd wear whatever made me look the hottest. How about you tell me my powers and I'll tell yuo what my costume is? ;)

Mind control: only works on males, and only when you're in proximity to a vertical metal pole. What sort of costume does that yield? ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads