D&D 5E Iggwilv/Tasha To Join Volo, Xanathar, and Mordenkainen? [UPDATED!]

Is WotC teasing a new announcement? There have been a few D&D books named after famous personalities from the game's extensive lore - Vole's Guide to Monsters, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. It looks possible that the next such personality might be Tasha of Tasha's Hideous Laughter fame -- which was an adventuring alias of the Greyhawk villain Iggwilv. UPDATE --...

Is WotC teasing a new announcement? There have been a few D&D books named after famous personalities from the game's extensive lore - Vole's Guide to Monsters, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. It looks possible that the next such personality might be Tasha of Tasha's Hideous Laughter fame -- which was an adventuring alias of the Greyhawk villain Iggwilv.

UPDATE -- A page has appeared on Amazon entitled Dungeons & Dragons November Title (Announced August 24). It's a hardcover, $49.95, November 17th release date.

IggwilvDungeonCover.jpg

On their Discord channel, WotC posted a short audio clip; it features some female-sounding voices laughing, and it is titled "Feather and Tart". It also has a metadata info which says August 24th, 2020, which is Monday. But in addition to that, a WoTC staff member on Reddit's avatar was changed to an image of Iggwilv.

Iggwilv was an evil magic-user, a villain created by Gary Gygax. When adventuring with the Company of Seven, she used the alias Tasha. The lore has it that the witch Baba Yaga adopted her as a child and named her Natasha, and she soon became Natasha the Dark (Baba Yaga also adopted Elena the Fair).

Iggwilv has two forms, one old and one young. You can read more about the character on Wikipedia.

What does seem clear is that WotC is teasing an impending announcement! I assume that the announcement they are teasing will be the announcement of an upcoming announcement, or I'll be disappointed.

dave2008

Legend
My theory is the book will be something like Fiend Codex (I & II), more about infernal outsiders and evil cults.

Graz'zt isn't the father of Drelnza, the vampiress, and this means they could date....:LOL:😜 if he is a demon lord, he could create an army of Drelnza clones.

Iggwilv is more "hell on the earth", when the gothic horror from the demiplane of the dread (Ravenloft) is more subtle but fatalist.

Planescape will be not published yet, but if there is a compilation of modules set in Sigil.
I think your off this time, more like Xanthar's book IMO with player and DM content, but not tied to fiends.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Iggwilv is not Tasha. Two different people. Erik Mona messing with Gygax's creations to "fix" something from later Greyhawk material that most Greyhawk fans never liked to begin with is not standing canon when we have not had Greyhawk canon reaffirmed in a decade. I sure hope they don't try and combine those characters again.

Richards

Legend
Out of curiosity, Morrus, when you post an image on the home page for a given article, does it automatically center it and you just get to see the middle portion of the picture...or was placing Iggwilv's boobs front and center a conscious decision? Just wondering.

Johnathan

Thirteenspades

Great Wyrm
I could use another demon book, or at least a compilation of the Demonomicon columns. Just hope it’s fresh and interesting, and doesn’t contradict previous D&D lore.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think the ship has sailed on trying to deny this bit of lore. It seems pretty firmly established at this point.

I disagree. As far as I know, it was just Erik Mona doing it in Dragon Magazine prior to shifting it to Paizo. Not really well established lore at all. Not something reflected in any official setting books I know about. Am I wrong in that?

J-H

Hero
If it's heavy on the demon/devil side, I'm out. Not a fan of that stuff for religious reasons, and barely use any of it in my games.

dave2008

Legend
Just hope it’s fresh and interesting, and doesn’t contradict previous D&D lore.
I hope it is fresh and interesting; however, I hope to does, to some extent contradict previous D&D lore. IMO, the more layers of miss-information we can have when it comes to "cosmic" lore the better. I think the core stance should be there are multiple different versions or viewpoints of the lore, not one version to govern them all.

Remove ads

Remove ads