D&D 5E Iggwilv/Tasha To Join Volo, Xanathar, and Mordenkainen? [UPDATED!]

Is WotC teasing a new announcement? There have been a few D&D books named after famous personalities from the game's extensive lore - Vole's Guide to Monsters, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. It looks possible that the next such personality might be Tasha of Tasha's Hideous Laughter fame -- which was an adventuring alias of the Greyhawk villain Iggwilv. UPDATE --...

Is WotC teasing a new announcement? There have been a few D&D books named after famous personalities from the game's extensive lore - Vole's Guide to Monsters, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. It looks possible that the next such personality might be Tasha of Tasha's Hideous Laughter fame -- which was an adventuring alias of the Greyhawk villain Iggwilv.

UPDATE -- A page has appeared on Amazon entitled Dungeons & Dragons November Title (Announced August 24). It's a hardcover, $49.95, November 17th release date.

IggwilvDungeonCover.jpg

On their Discord channel, WotC posted a short audio clip; it features some female-sounding voices laughing, and it is titled "Feather and Tart". It also has a metadata info which says August 24th, 2020, which is Monday. But in addition to that, a WoTC staff member on Reddit's avatar was changed to an image of Iggwilv.

Iggwilv was an evil magic-user, a villain created by Gary Gygax. When adventuring with the Company of Seven, she used the alias Tasha. The lore has it that the witch Baba Yaga adopted her as a child and named her Natasha, and she soon became Natasha the Dark (Baba Yaga also adopted Elena the Fair).

Iggwilv has two forms, one old and one young. You can read more about the character on Wikipedia.

What does seem clear is that WotC is teasing an impending announcement! I assume that the announcement they are teasing will be the announcement of an upcoming announcement, or I'll be disappointed.

Mirtek

Hero
This thread sparked my interest in the whole Tasha/Iggvwilv issue and so I want back to read the article in Dragon 359. For this article, "Unsolved Mysteries of D&D", they actually worked with the creators of the respective settings. So Greenwood for FR, Keith for Eberron and Gygax was also part of the crew.

So IMHO it's safe to assume that they merely spilled a secret that Gary intended for to be there all along rather than make up something new.

The point that during this run of Dragon it was labled as "100% official content" was already mentioned in this thread too.

Let's see what the new book will tell about this.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
This thread sparked my interest in the whole Tasha/Iggvwilv issue and so I want back to read the article in Dragon 359. For this article, "Unsolved Mysteries of D&D", they actually worked with the creators of the respective settings. So Greenwood for FR, Keith for Eberron and Gygax was also part of the crew.

So IMHO it's safe to assume that they merely spilled a secret that Gary intended for to be there all along rather than make up something new.

The point that during this run of Dragon it was labled as "100% official content" was already mentioned in this thread too.

Let's see what the new book will tell about this.
Does anyone know anything that contradicts it at all?!?

And it looks like this will be the race book... and the alternat class features book... so maybe it is just all the last years UA

Yeah, I didn't expect them to do quite as full-on a "JAM IT ALL IN!!!!" book, but looks like they have. Even the Artificer is jammed in there!

The alt-art cover is totally fantastic. I'd definitely go out of my way to get it, if I still bought physical books. If all the art in that book was that good, I'd buy this as a physical book, even though I don't really use them, too so WotC would get my money twice, as I'd still buy it on Beyond.

Speaking of Beyond, they never managed to actually implement the Class Feature Variants UA, which they'd been saying was "weeks away" for about three-four months, and now I'm guessing they never will. Not the best look for them.

Thirteenspades

Great Wyrm
(Note spelling long forgotten names is hard)
Orcus was Tenebrous
Hard to explain. Orcus was Tenebrous and he wasn't at the same time. His soulless the same. But it depends on the source. Some say he renamed himself Tenebrous when he reincarnated as a true god. Others say he took the form of the Shadow that Was on accident and he wished to be a God as Orcus, not Tenebrous. Just being nitpicky.

Remove ads

Remove ads