• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Ignoring the rules!

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Yes, as in nearly all of them. :)
Nah. If the game is about a race to save the world from a cataclysm, XP doesn't make sense. Nor in intrigue games, IMO. But it is a great motivator in exploration type campaigns.
The list of rules I've ignored or tossed out is long. Some of them (e.g. training cost determination) have been replaced by other rules, some (e.g. weapon vs armour type) have not.
When you get rid of weapon vs armor type, you nerf the fighter.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Nah. If the game is about a race to save the world from a cataclysm, XP doesn't make sense. Nor in intrigue games, IMO. But it is a great motivator in exploration type campaigns.
Xp - and more importantly, individual xp - always makes sense unless you want to encourage the playing of hang-back take-no-risk characters.
When you get rid of weapon vs armor type, you nerf the fighter.
Hasn't shown itself as an issue yet, and it's been 40 years now...

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Xp - and more importantly, individual xp - always makes sense unless you want to encourage the playing of hang-back take-no-risk characters.

Hasn't shown itself as an issue yet, and it's been 40 years now...
Sad No Way GIF by Sixt

While xp may work great for you and your game, others can find it tedious and pointless.

They can ignore it in their games! And you can keep it in your yours!

Every DM can ignore the elements they don't like! Every DM is empowered to use their judgment to decide what to ignore and what to keep! Every DM can have it their way! Every DM can get what they want!

Stormonu

Legend
Having to have a free hand to cast spells (i.e., paladins).

Encumbrance, tracking ammo

Most of the light rules (everyone's usually got darkvision anyways). I often forget about having different languages and many a time monsters have blurted everything out in Common...

I build encounters with aid of the XP budgets but don't award XP for killing monsters. I'd say about 90% of XP actually comes from story bonuses.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I often ignore the rules for surprise and initiative. If players come up with an ambush I typically let them execute in the order they want.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Xp - and more importantly, individual xp - always makes sense ....

Our collective inability to leave space for things other than our own personal proclivities is an eternal drag on the RPG community.

It would have taken just three words to leave that space here, but who cares about anyone else, if we can stake our territory on all of gaming! Amirite?

All alignment "rules" were gone long ago, replaced with "let's figure out what makes sense for your specific character."

And the usual ignoring of encumbrance beyond "just don't be silly" and needing a free hand for certain spells: if you're holding a focus, even if it doubles as a shield or weapon, you're all set.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads