• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Ignoring the rules!

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Except then it ain't all that risky, is it?
Never said it was. :)

"At the same level [as] before" - is that RAW in any edition, or is everyone left to decide on a by-table basis?

In the early editions the default - hinted at but maybe not hard-coded in the rules - was that you started over at 1st level.

We have it that you start a level lower than the party average.
Definitely up to individual tables; if there's 5e RAW about it, I'm not familiar. I will say that my observed de facto standard is making a new character at the same level.

Could be worth a poll.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Most "casters are too powerful" complaints are rooted in residual 3e trauma, in which casters above a mid-tier level were actually near demigods. 5e has resolved like 80% of those issues, in my opinion.
That, too. The 3.x prep and nova caster was a thing of terrible beauty (that players did no seem to appreciate as much when on the other side of it).

In the early editions the default - hinted at but maybe not hard-coded in the rules - was that you started over at 1st level.

We have it that you start a level lower than the party average.

What do you hope to achieve by quoting the rules in a thread where the central premise is that you can ignore the rules???

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Anything having to do with needing to track what you're holding in your hands.

I am not going to get persnickety about what you're wielding. It's not fun and I refuse to "well, actually..." someone who just wanted to make an attack or cast a spell.
Cool. Greatsword, tower shield and staff of fire coming online!

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Not sure if it’s ignoring rules or ignoring balance, but I allow my players to collect all manner of minions ala Soul Trap/Pokémon style.

One of my players has a Ironscale Hydra, a Shadow Manticore, and Gold Dragon.

One has a Silver Dragon Paladin and an Ice Roc (literal just Articuno).

One has a Primal Hydra and a Mega Sableye.

One is going for an all dragon team with an Abyssal Insect Dragon, Void Dragon, Lesser Death Dragon, and a Corrupt Crystalline Dragon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads