• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Ignoring the rules!

Retros_x

Adventurer
For example, I have had players avoid interesting adventures and quests because they were perceived to be either too hard or too easy and not worth doing based on XP alone.
The exact same thing can happen with milestones, just for different reason. Milestones incentive going after the "main quest" and making more story progress. Running exp driven games are in my experience better for more or less open games, while milestones work better for plot driven games. I continue to use both depending of the style and structure of the campaign.

Rules I ignored otherwise: encumbrance, exact travel pace, eating rules, ammunition tracking, spell components, exact vision rules and on instances basically every rule to let something cool happen.

This list is mostly based on 5e, besides 5e I ran games with leaner rule frameworks (mostly OSR).

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I usually use milestone XP for small events that are outside the main plot line, basically give people an XP bonus for a side quest above and beyond any encounter XP.

I don't think I'd ever say no to multiclassing but I do know a lot of people hate it. I'm currently running a multiclass barbarian/wizard (only level 2) it's pretty fun.
Nixing multiclassing is a good way to break excessive optimization habits, if that's an issue in your gaming circle. You might still see a lot of paladins but it's a lot more manageable than sorhexadins.

There are earlier editions too, BX and, I think, 1e you gained XP for coin which leads to a fairly specific style of game since it's Bout getting the loot out of the dungeon. I think when they dropped that for 2e it changed the overall game style.
But lots of people ignored those rules. We shouldn't let something as trivial as the "books" and "rules" control how we play the game, should we???

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The exact same thing can happen with milestones, just for different reason. Milestones incentive going after the "main quest" and making more story progress. Running exp driven games are in my experience better for more or less open games, while milestones work better for plot driven games. I continue to use both depending of the style and structure of the campaign.

Rules I ignored otherwise: encumbrance, exact travel pace, eating rules, ammunition tracking, spell components, exact vision rules and on instances basically every rule to let something cool happen.

This list is mostly based on 5e, besides 5e I ran games with leaner rule frameworks (mostly OSR).
I have actually found having a meta goal is far more important to open world games than including XP. YMMV.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Can you bring up the quote then? I've been in the trenches the past few days, so may have lost track of my ongoing arguments.
Follow the quotes back, you literally quoted my post which quoted your post which commented that if people want a certain playstyle, there's always 4e.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads