• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IG's "Those Left Behind" [OOC-2]

Shayuri

First Post
Okay, first of all, it's a bit more complicated than that.

A beast is capable of some very limited independent actions without using powers, like taking OA's, or acting if the ranger is unable to act (but then, only to take actions that directly pertain to rescuing the ranger).

Also, many ranger powers designed for beastmaster builds DO allow the ranger and the beast to attack simultaneously, or for one (or both) to move and then attack...or for the beast to take special actions like charging, tripping, sonic 'howl' attacks and so on. So basically, most of the fun stuff you'd want to do with a beastmaster ranger are in the powers.

Why is that?

The ultimate economy of 4e combat is called "the economy of actions." In 3e there were many ways to gain multiple actions in a turn. The designers of 4e decided that they wanted things to be simpler. One character, one standard action per turn. Summon something? Fine. Still have just one standard action per turn. Have a familiar? Ditto. Animal companion? Awesome...still just one standard action per turn. You can use your Action Point, of course. But the idea is that just because your character has an associated critter doesn't mean you get twice as many actions per turn as the poor schmoe who doesn't.

This affects Talashia too. She now uses her actions to direct Shazi. He doesn't give her any more actions per turn either.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Well, Shazi I can see requireing Tali's std action use. He probably would want to argue or make some sort of snide remark, which would take up time! but the idea of having to tell a creature to cotinue to "defend" or "attack" or it will stand around just wagging its tail seem forein to me.

Well, that is all of the intruding I will do for now.

jkason

First Post
Makes sense to me. I think you probably have to work a little harder to make it work outside the mechanics (I'd guess something about the heavy amount of control it takes to train an animal in complex battle tactics suppresses their fight or flight instincts), but I don't think it makes play unbearable. Shai has a couple of the 'both attack' powers already, and just because Dys isn't attacking doesn't mean he's not a credible flank with the growling and the snapping and the like. ;)

This did make me take a second look at summoning. Shai only has one summon power, but I'd better make sure I understand that, too. He can order an attack the round the bear appears, and can order another in subsequent rounds by spending a standard action. But there's also an 'instinctive' section to the power that includes attacking an adjacent enemy or moving to an attack-able square so he can attack the next round. Does Shai have to spend actions to 'activate' the instinctive response, as well? If he does, I might want to scrap that power, since in most cases he'll already be splitting actioons with Dyspeer, and a third party doesn't seem particularly useful.

jason

Shayuri

First Post
Oh right, druidic summons are a bit different. Their instinctive actions trigger on any turn that they don't recieve a specific command.

Just read them carefully, because sometimes the instinctive actions aren't very discriminating in who they can hit.

Leif

Adventurer
I would personally rather you stick with Uulark, at least for now, in one incarnation or another.

What is it, exactly, that you're not liking about him? Is it just that he's human, or is it something else?
I'm not sure why, exactly, but I've always felt that he was a bit sub-par as compared to the rest of the party. But, if we're all going to be re-made as 4E with the same points for the build (how many is that, exactly, as per PH standard? Or are we using the standard array for abilities?) then that won't be an issue at all. Actually, I quite like the shifter cleric idea! I'm thinking Longtooth Shifter, too. I even had a deity planned, but I can't remember which one just now. Maybe Ioun? I know she was one of the unaligned ones, and one of the SHE ones, I think.

industrygothica

Adventurer
I'm not sure why, exactly, but I've always felt that he was a bit sub-par as compared to the rest of the party. But, if we're all going to be re-made as 4E with the same points for the build (how many is that, exactly, as per PH standard? Or are we using the standard array for abilities?) then that won't be an issue at all. Actually, I quite like the shifter cleric idea! I'm thinking Longtooth Shifter, too. I even had a deity planned, but I can't remember which one just now. Maybe Ioun? I know she was one of the unaligned ones, and one of the SHE ones, I think.

Standard point buy. I believe all of the arrays use the same point buy, so you can use those too. Honestly, whenever I make a character in the character builder, I just use the auto-roll feature; it does a fine job of adjudicating the scores appropriately.

If you're going to play a shifter, all I ask is that you RP the change somehow--either a big secret you've kept from everyone, or an ability you never knew you had until it manifested. Does that make sense?

-IG

renau1g

First Post
re: Auto-Pick.

Be careful as it will always put an 18 in your main stat, sometimes not the best as it really limits your secondary ones. I generally prefer two 16's and either 2 12's or one 13 and an 11.

Just my two coppers.

Re: Shifter cleric, IG you could have Uulark bit by a werewolf and the belladonna wasn't fully effective.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
re: Auto-Pick.

Be careful as it will always put an 18 in your main stat, sometimes not the best as it really limits your secondary ones. I generally prefer two 16's and either 2 12's or one 13 and an 11.

Just my two coppers.

Re: Shifter cleric, IG you could have Uulark bit by a werewolf and the belladonna wasn't fully effective.

or the full moon has not happened sincd he was bit, but that time is coming up reeeeeely soon. (like when the current game is done!)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads