• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IK] The Corvis University Discreet Investigation and Retrieval Union (OOC)

Slippshade

First Post
Blue,

I would like to enter a Gun Mage into this game. I won't be able to get a character to you until this weekend though. I just got the IKCG so I have to read a little bit before fleshing the character out. How many posts a week are you expecting from players?

Bobitron

Explorer
I'd be happy to play any sort of character the party is short on, character creation is a hobby of mine :)

I have plenty of 3rd level characters ready to rock. I'm available most of the time, so I'd love to join. What does the party need?

Karl Green

First Post
If I remember we have a sorcerer (me), a rogue, a cleric, a ranger... and a gunmage just now. So oh, what do we need? I don't think we have a straight front line fighter type. Even if you used guns as a secondary weapons a front line warrior of some type would be good I think

Bobitron

Explorer
Karl Green said:
If I remember we have a sorcerer (me), a rogue, a cleric, a ranger... and a gunmage just now. So oh, what do we need? I don't think we have a straight front line fighter type. Even if you used guns as a secondary weapons a front line warrior of some type would be good I think

Allright,sounds good. I will put a few ideas here tonight and let you all choose what you would prefer.

Blue_Genie

First Post
Slippshade said:
I would like to enter a Gun Mage into this game. I won't be able to get a character to you until this weekend though. I just got the IKCG so I have to read a little bit before fleshing the character out. How many posts a week are you expecting from players?
We haven't actually talked about the frequency of posts yet, Slippshade. I'll try and keep the storyline interesting so that people will want to check in as often as possible.

I'm not going after any kind of "game balance" when it comes to classes or races, and am trying to build the adventure around the backgrounds of the characters, so feel free to play whatever you like.

Blue_Genie

First Post
Bobitron said:
Allright,sounds good. I will put a few ideas here tonight and let you all choose what you would prefer.
Are you familiar with the Iron Kingdoms setting, Bobitron? I find that the more you can tailor your character (in concept and background) to the details of this particular campaign setting, the more it helps ground the story in this particular reality. If you're not well versed, or don't have access to any of the books (Lock & Load: Character Primer, and the Iron Kingdoms Character Guide), let me know, and I'll try and catch you up.

Bobitron

Explorer
Blue_Genie said:
Are you familiar with the Iron Kingdoms setting, Bobitron? I find that the more you can tailor your character (in concept and background) to the details of this particular campaign setting, the more it helps ground the story in this particular reality. If you're not well versed, or don't have access to any of the books (Lock & Load: Character Primer, and the Iron Kingdoms Character Guide), let me know, and I'll try and catch you up.

I know the setting pretty well. I have the L&L Primer and the Character Guide, so I think I will be in good shape. My shortcomings are probably more in regards to 3.5 edition rules, I have not played them yet, although I own the core books.

Edit: I just picked up Prime and Escalation as well, but I haven't read the plot portions of Escalation.

Last edited:

DrunkenMonkey

First Post
Would someone mind posting some more info on the Vislovski Rifle, I'm interested in the flavor text, and the rules for a double barreled weapon. Thanks. Oh by the way can you masterwork a greatcoat like you can armor?

Last edited:

Blue_Genie

First Post
DrunkenMonkey said:
Would someone mind posting some more info on the Vislovski Rifle, I'm interested in the flavor text, and the rules for a double barreled weapon. Thanks. Oh by the way can you masterwork a greatcoat like you can armor?

I know I already OK'd Devyn's masterwork armored greatcoat, but I think I'm going to reverse myself on that. Since you already don't need armor proficiecy to use it, and get an armor bonus, plus damage reduction, I'm going to rule that you can't get rid of the -1 ACP for the armored greatcoat by buying a masterwork one. Do Devyn, you have an extra 150 gp to spend, woohoo! ;)

The Vislovski rifle is actually not a double-barreled weapon, it's basically just a heavy long rifle. The double-barreled rifles that exist out there are the Clockwerk Arms Revolving Rifle, and the Radliffe Twoshot Rifle. Would you like the flavor text on those?

I was just looking at the IKCG and saw that you can make any firearm double-barreled. In the campaign world they are rare, but that certainly doesn't mean that you can't have one. Here's the text on how to do that.

Double-barreled Firearms: As rare are firearms are, double-barreled firearms are exotic treasures indeed. Such firearms may fire on two subsequent rounds without requiring reloading, or both barrels can be fire at once with only a single attack role (damage rolls are made separately however.) Reload times for double-barreled firearms are doubled, although only one barrel can be loaded, if desired. Cost: +150% added to the usual cost of the basic firearm. Weight: +50% to the weight of pistols, +75% to the weight of rifles. So, a double-barreled military pistol would cost 750 gp and weight 7 1/2 pounds. Ammunition cost: as per firearm type.

Here's a general note on firearms for everyone. They make a LOT of noise. Be aware that the DC for hearing a pistol going off is around -20 and a rifle is -30. Not so great for stealth operations. I'm not saying that's what I will be throwing your way, it's just sometimes easy to forget the "real world" ramifications of things.

Bobitron

Explorer
OK, here's a few proposed Characters. None of the statistic details, but an overview of each. I'll let you guys decide which one I should use.

Alain Caldwallow

Caspian male, Paladin of Morrow

Background: Born in Caspia to a family with a long history of scholarly occupations, Alain's father was a lawyer serving the highest bidder. He represented many a criminal before the judges of the Church, and it was a great source of shame to Alain, even as a child. Ever a devout child, he nonetheless shocked his father by joining the Church immediately after school, serving Morrow by advising clergy on legal and political matters. He worked in the Church for nearly 20 years with little impact on the lives of Morrow's faithful. One night after another long day of boredom, Alain had a dream calling him into more direct service, and he became a paladin of Morrow the next day. Now Alain brings Morrow's justice to the people daily and helps spread the good that only He can bring. The Caldwallow name has a vile reputation in the CIty of Walls amongst theives and evil-doers, even though he has not progressed far within his new path. His fellow Morrowans respect his choice to take the difficult path of the paladin, which has assisted him in his dealings with the Church. Alain is a valuable asset to the party, with his skills in bureaucracy, diplomacy, information gathering, and deep knowledge about religion and nobility coming in handy.

Appearance: Alain has the look of a lawyer rather than a champion of Morrow. He has pale skin and a thin physique that comes from years of scholarly persuits. His face shows his maturity more than his bearing, with hard wrinkles around his eyes. His gaze is steely and serious, and that combined with his weapons and the glint of a chain shirt is the only indication that more than a mere accountant approaches.

About this character: Alain is a quiet and serious man, with a simple manner of speech. His voice is cultured and concise, and he displays faultless courtesy to everyone he meets. He has an even temper that is hard to crack, even during tense moments. Prone to long thought before taking action, Alain is often considered "boring" by his companions. He lives the life of a paladin to the letter, giving away his share of the party's wealth to the Church and never partaking in excess of food or drink. He views his new life as a new chance to help people, and seeks to repay Morrow's grace whenever possible.

Attachments

• Alain Caldwallow.jpg
    Alain Caldwallow.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 71

Remove ads