Illiteracy and shamanism

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If you are looking for a more general term, Animism is more appropriate to describe belief in spirits and a spirit world. "Shamanism" is specific to Siberia.

And even that isn't general - animisim is a belief that every thing has a spirit. A deer, a rock, a river, a book, or even words.

But, there's a whole range of spirituality in which he spirits are not tied to earthly things. Ancestor worship, for example, is not generally considered a form of animism.

All in all, I think that the link between education and spirituality is a weak one. There are forms of spirituality that are alive and well among literate peoples.

Bilharzia

Fish Priest
And even that isn't general - animisim is a belief that every thing has a spirit. A deer, a rock, a river, a book, or even words.

But, there's a whole range of spirituality in which he spirits are not tied to earthly things. Ancestor worship, for example, is not generally considered a form of animism.

Animism is widely accepted as an appropriate and general term which does include veneration of ancestors. It is not limited in the way you suggest.

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
now, to expand a little, can we oppose Science to Chamanism ?
( like in Awareness ( or something like that ) = Science x Spiritism )
( I mean x ( multiply ) so that if you have say a 15 in science and a 3 in Spiritism ( or the like ) that would give you a 15 x 3 = 45 in Awareness ( or is it Intelligence ? ( like in Int = Scholarship Level x Tolerance ) )
and, given a 15+3=18 development points, you could have a 9 x 9 = 81 in Int ( ok ? )
now, if Tolerance is the complementary to Science, and Spiritism is located in the same room than Tolerance, ...
( it makes me wonder ( Led Zep ) )

:)

oufff !!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Animism is widely accepted as an appropriate and general term which does include veneration of ancestors. It is not limited in the way you suggest.

I suppose that depends on who taught you. Going into it further would breach our rules against discussion of real-world religion, though, so I will not argue the point.

Remove ads