Illiteracy and shamanism

ruemere

Adventurer
It is a matter of both cultural perspective and available education. If you have a deeply spiritual society, with an education system that supports spiritual approach to the way the world works, you will get shamans or spirit mediums or spirit priests or spirit doctors.

As for barbarians...

The short version: shamans are not barbarian analog. Spirituality does not equate low level of technology. Barbarian does not mean not civilized.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
'Barbarian' is usually used to mean an outside group you see as having less civilization than your own. The word 'barbarian' comes from ancient Greece and means people who don't speak Greek, but the ancient Chinese had equivalent words for the nomads who came in on horses firing arrows at them, for instance.

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
grmpf!
( obviously ) I should have trouble with french culture, where Healers ( I have seen one recently ) are viewed as Charlatans by the world of Health ( i.e. doctors, psychiatrists or the like )

and what about " civilized " countries ( sorry but it does not include France, as of what you tell me Japan has got in its roots ) can deal with " intermediate " countries ( such as business, culture, understanding and tolerance ) ??

Bilharzia

Fish Priest
grmpf!
( obviously ) I should have trouble with french culture, where Healers ( I have seen one recently ) are viewed as Charlatans by the world of Health ( i.e. doctors, psychiatrists or the like )
Of course there are charlatans everywhere, and there have been at all times (see the Trickster in Mythology).

It is worth pointing out that modern medicine recognises the power of placebo, which is effectively, the belief of the patient, not the medicine at work. Not only do placebos work, they work when patients know they are taking a placebo!

and what about " civilized " countries ( sorry but it does not include France, as of what you tell me Japan has got in its roots ) can deal with " intermediate " countries ( such as business, culture, understanding and tolerance ) ??

I am afraid I do not understand this.

le Redoutable

I recently saw " Running Up that Hill " from Kate Bush, and she demonstrates her power in spreading Energy;
from my recent visit to a Healer I discovered the concept of Energy;
because I obviously lack expertise in modern medecine, I think they do not recognize Energy ( perhaps it should get close to placebo ?? )

Sir Brennen

Legend
This might be getting too much into personal belief systems that may not be appropriate for the forums. My own views definitely conflict with the idea of a vague, undefinable "energy" often touted by other real world beliefs/religions.

I recommend staying with fantasy versions of the Shaman in your discussion. Though, as others mention, not sure what the goal is in trying to assign a definition to it regarding a version of a D&D class from almost 40 years ago.

le Redoutable

oh yes I forgot the " no politics no religion " rule for the forums
sorry :(

at the base, it was a smartness challenge, to rely Chamanism to 1e UA Barbarians
( with the addon from my system, which consists of 15 compatible classes assembled 3 by 3 to form 15 multiclasses )

le Redoutable

another topic of mine defined Barbarian as a mix of Brute and Ranger;
so the third Class would be either Cleric or Druid, nd Shaman would be the name of the multiclass

:)

Barbarian

Last edited:

Remove ads