D&D 5E Illumination Cantrips Compared and Analyzed

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The main problem with using produce flame for illumination is that once you attack with it, it goes out and you're in the dark until next round.

Yes definitely a problem. Unless you light your target on fire with it of course.

Example Uses: I've listed the radius expansions for non-magic flames in the above Light Sources list. This is a pretty powerful effect in my opinion. Getting a cone of 120' bright light and another 120' dim light from a bullseye lantern means you're spotting Drow and Svirfneblin at the same range their special darkvision could spot you, which would mean at best they'd have disadvantage to spot you in your darkness while you can light them up and attack as normal (and the regular hooded lantern is pretty great with this as well).

But they will see your light coming well before you will see them. IMO, you can see a light source at a range of 10 times it's dim range. So, the NPCs will see the party's light source long before either side sees each other.

Dancing lights, I love, but remember, it only sheds dim light, so you are at disadvantage for perception checks if they are hiding from you.

Mistwell

But they will see your light coming well before you will see them. IMO, you can see a light source at a range of 10 times it's dim range. So, the NPCs will see the party's light source long before either side sees each other.

Dancing lights, I love, but remember, it only sheds dim light, so you are at disadvantage for perception checks if they are hiding from you.

1. Yes they see the light coming. The probably heard you coming as well. But, they cannot directly target you with a spell without seeing you, and they have trouble pinpointing your space as well.
2. Yes it's dim light, though if you have darkvision you see normal in dim light.

Mistwell

I am curious what most parties use for a light source in their typical dungeon or darkness adventures?

Arvok

Explorer
Another advantage produce flame has over other light producing cantrips is that you can use it to start fires. I don't mean as a weapon, but simply lighting candles or campfires or the like. Yes, you can certainly use flint and steel, but if you're really role playing your characters, anybody would rather use a handy little ball of fire to start a pile of twigs that has been soaked by rain for the last few days instead of struggling for half an hour with primitive fire starting methods.

Produce flame can also have important thematic elements that a light spell doesn't. For instance, I have a tiefling warlock with the Fiend patron. He's a bit "arsony" so when I had the chance to choose between light and produce flame (Pact of the Tome, Book of Ancient Secrets), I obviously chose the latter. Even if it weren't usable as a weapon, it still is better for this character. It just feels right for him to be holding a ball of flame in his hand rather than a mote of harmless light. Sure, he can't cast it onto his staff or a fighter's shield and free up his hand, but I think it's worth it for the immersion factor. Maybe that's just me.

aco175

Legend
I am curious what most parties use for a light source in their typical dungeon or darkness adventures?

Typically is is not a big deal in my games. I may say something about the area being dark and the players say something about torches or light spell. In fights it does not matter unless someone is trying to put out the light. The PCs are assumed to have dropped the torch or lantern and fight in the same area. Occasionally there is a monster out of sight further in the room that the PCs cannot see, but light or dancing lights will get cast and take the advantage away.

It seems to be like water and food where it only matters in certain circumstances.

Mistwell

Typically is is not a big deal in my games. I may say something about the area being dark and the players say something about torches or light spell. In fights it does not matter unless someone is trying to put out the light. The PCs are assumed to have dropped the torch or lantern and fight in the same area. Occasionally there is a monster out of sight further in the room that the PCs cannot see, but light or dancing lights will get cast and take the advantage away.

It seems to be like water and food where it only matters in certain circumstances.

I can see how this might be a hand waived issue. I think those using tools like Roll20 with the illumination turned on, which is an increasingly common thing, might be more impacted by illumination issues than most.

Frankie1969

Adventurer
Treantmonk's grid templates for dancing lights are incorrect. If you place a 10' radius AoE on the center of a grid square, it can only illuminate 9 squares (3x3), because every square beyond that distance has less than 50% coverage.
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/0...on-a-point-within-range-which-one-is-correct/

In general, it's both more effective and easier to calculate for radius & cone AoEs to originate from a grid corner, not a center. For a 10' radius glow, that covers 12 squares (4x4 minus the corners).

Remove ads