I'm not cut out for this grownup stuff

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Well, our government graciously extended the income tax deadline to April 17th, for which I was greatful, because like many Americans, I wait until the last minute to file. So I sat down tonight, installed Turbo Tax on my computer, and then discovered I've probably thrown both W-2 forms (one for each job I held in 2006) out with the garbage. I can't even file for an extension, because I don't know how much taxes were deducted from payroll, and I obviously can't figure the approximate amount of taxes I owe.

Gads... It's bad enough that I'm losing my grip where my mental and emotional wellbeing is concernded (that's another whole story). And this doesn't help!

:\

If your employers use a payroll processing company like ADP, they should be able to get you the information tomorrow in time to file electronically tomorrow night. And you can always file an amended return; what's important is that if you owe, you pay right away. If your amended return shows you owe more than what you paid, penalties and interest are assessed from the original due date, not that date of the amended return.

If you don't owe, you can file late without penalty I think. Although I have no idea what list that gets you put on.

And I am not a lawyer, accountant, or anything else. :lol:

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Thanks, RI. Thing is, I'm not working anywhere now, having been let go from my last job because of increasingly worsening emotional issues. The one here in town I might be able to go and pick up a w-2 from, but the job I had prior to that one is 30 miles away, and with what's going on in my cranium lately, I'm not sure I can drive it.

Thanks anyway..I'll figure out something!

bento

Explorer
Look at the final paycheck you got for 2006. It should have the totals for everything in your account (taxes, paid in benefits, etc.).

Merkuri

Explorer
It won't help for this year, but the first time I get a document in the mail that's tax-related I whip out a folder and write "Taxes 2006" (or whatever year it's for) on the tab, and stick the tax form in there. I keep the folder someplace that's easy to get to and not prone to being lost, and each new document I get I shove in there. Once a few months have gone by and I'm sure I have them all, I pull out the tax software and all my documents are in one place, ready to be typed out.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Don't drive -- call them. They should have records, and at the very least you may be able to have them read you the amounts over the phone.

Good luck! And like Merkuri, toss everything in the same place once tax time rolls around. Doing so makes life much easier for me.

Doc_Souark

Explorer
Listen to the wise old Cat !

While y'all have snow, frozen rain and other nastyiness up there in Yankeeland, it's partly cloudy and right pretty down her in Gods country. And I've already gots my return back ~looks at check~ so after I make a deposit to my retirement fund, pay a morgage payment, send child sopport and get my oil changed I'll have enough to get Dungeornscape........after I raid my change jar.....maybe.

papastebu

First Post
I once filed a return that began with a letter that opened like this, "To whom it may concern,". I told the IRS that I hadn't been sent a W-2 from any of my jobs that year, but that based on how much I was earning hourly, and how much I actually got each check--a straight 40-hour week--I had paid x% of those earnings on xnumber of 40-hour weeks. They took it and there was no hassle. If you can remember what you made hourly--or even easier, salaried wages--and what you actually got, then you should be able to do the math to take care of business. You can, alternately, call them up and tell them what's going on with you--no W-2s--and ask them to compute your tax return for you, free of charge. Or log onto IRS.gov and see what you can do there.
Don't panic!
Above all, be absolutely truthful, as far as you can remember the actual amounts.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Thanks, everyone! I used to be a lot more organized than I am now, and actually did keep things in folders and files. Now, my life is ruled by piles of clutter and dust bunnies!

Remove ads