I'm not interesting in going further with this...

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The following quote was made by a mod. My purpose is not to discuss the particular incident, but rather whether the community can count on this statement being applied generally and broadly. I'm just wanting to establish that if anyone tells another poster they don't want to continue and then that poster continues that their post will be moderated similarly (assuming it is reported)?

You seem to have missed the part with, "I'm not interested in going further with this." That means stop.

So, it is time for you to stop. Meaning, do not continue. Let it go. Drop it.

I hope that makes it clear. Respect for other posters means that you don't keep going when they say they want to stop. Basic consent, you know?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm just wanting to establish that if anyone tells another poster they don't want to continue and then that poster continues that their post will be moderated similarly (assuming it is reported)?

Within reason. Context matters. This isn't new, it is just uncommon - most folk have enough sense to back off when people say they are exiting the conversation. It is really just a variation on a request to be left alone, which we already try to honor.

If someone tries to weaponize it or abuse it, that's a problem.

To be clear, such is a request is, "I am not going to talk about this further, please leave me out of it." Failure to honor this makes you a sea lion:

1598192475577.png

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I have participated in threads before where someone says they are done with the conversation... and then returns later and keeps posting!

My solution is to honor their original post and just ignore them, unless they specifically reply to one of my posts. Can't say it's emotionally satisfying, but what in life is?

FrogReaver

This is part of why I say context matters. There are a lot of nuanced situations.

Context always matters but it helps to have some general expectation on how things will be handled.

One particular context I can foresee is when a poster is continuing further and in the very same post that they end by saying they won’t be continuing further. In essence they are attempting to use this protection to get the last word in.

Can we expect that continuing in response to such a post has a high potential of being moderated? Or would this be an example of a situation where the context causes the act of responding to a post with the “I’m not continuing phrase” to not be moderated?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Context always matters but it helps to have some general expectation on how things will be handled.

One particular context I can foresee is when a poster is continuing further and in the very same post that they end by saying they won’t be continuing further. In essence they are attempting to use this protection to get the last word in.

Can we expect that continuing in response to such a post has a high potential of being moderated? Or would this be an example of a situation where the context causes the act of responding to a post with the “I’m not continuing phrase” to not be moderated?
It sounds like you want to continue engaging people after they've asked you not to, and are scoping out the boundaries. My question is this: why do you want to engage with people who don't want to engage with you? (It's a rhetorical question).

FrogReaver

It sounds like you want to continue engaging people after they've asked you not to, and are scoping out the boundaries. My question is this: why do you want to engage with people who don't want to engage with you? (It's a rhetorical question).

Apologies if it sounds that way. It’s not my intent. It’s only that I have a bit of a fear the principle being used is establishing a “I get the last word button”.

I’m trying to figure out what appropriate response members of our community have when someone tries to use that phrase for a last word button. I guess the question is really “what is your expectation for our behavior in that instance”?

Some options I can think of:
Do you want people to report it?
Do you want people to accept that means the other had the last word?
Do you want people to ignore the statement when it comes as part of a last word button and respond to it anyways?

Remove ads