I'm not interesting in going further with this...

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Either you’ve completely misunderstood the topic at hand or I have. It’s not about being asked to stop talking full stop, it’s about being asked to stop quote/responding to a specific person.

Interesting, I thought that was the topic at hand as well. I even thought we had pretty well established that it's appropriate to ask another poster to stop quoting/responding to you on a specific topic in a specific thread. Imagine my surprise when I was moderated for making that very request of another poster.

Mod Note:

In the incident you are trying to model this after, the situation was, "I will myself not engage in this part of the discussion, so please leave me out of it going forward". If you want to use that model, you must move on to another topic yourself.

So in the event anyone else reads this thread and has misunderstood as badly as us, I just want to point out that asking someone to stop responding to you is apparently only acceptable when you are going to recuse yourself fully from a specific discussion/thread.

Just wanted to share for the benefit of everyone else.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So in the event anyone else reads this thread and has misunderstood as badly as us, I just want to point out that asking someone to stop responding to you is apparently only acceptable when you are going to recuse yourself fully from a specific discussion/thread.

Yes. Note: In the original example that spawned this, the poster said "... I'm not interested in going further with this." Not just, "stop responding to me".

If you want to be an active part of a discussion, you don't get to pick and choose exactly who responds to you all the time. If you want to walk away, and not take a bunch of parting shots, or you want to drop a line of discussion, it is a more reasonable request, so long as you are clear what the topic you want to drop is.

The other half of this that you dropped is that you may also ask someone to not respond to you in general, everywhere. But then, again, you need to disengage yourself - we strongly recommend you use the Ignore function in such a case, to help you do that.

In general, if you want to put a wall up between you and someone else, you have to respect that wall yourself.

Remove ads