• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E I'm NOT upset about 4E

Jack99

Adventurer
I came back to RPGs in october last year. Since then, I bought just about every 3.5 book I could get my hands on. Now that I have them all (more or less) they announce 4.0..

Am I upset? Not the least.

3.5, while a decent system, can still be much better, and i am looking forward to experiencing the next evolutionary stage of my favorite game...

The_Gneech

Explorer
About 4E itself? No, not upset. Sounds like it'll be a good system.

About a lot of the things WotC has done around 4E, very very upset indeed.

-The Gneech

National Acrobat

First Post
I'm not upset because I didn't stop playing 3.0. I didn't invest into 3.5, and won't in further editions. Heck, we still play 1E sometimes.

However, that also has to do with a lot of other factors. Our group only gets together once every couple of months, so investing in new versions for us isn't cost effective anyway. It's fairly typical for a new system of a game to come out every 5-7 years anyway.

SavageRobby

First Post
RFisher said:
I'm not upset. Heck, 4e has a much better chance of earning my money than any more 3e products.

QFT.

I'm not upset, I'm amused. I'm also looking forward to reading through the new version and seeing if there is anything worthwhile to steal and use in my Savage Worlds or C&C games. I'm hoping they slay all the sacred cows and add in all kinds of new stuff, so that 4x isn't chock full of the same old hackish stuff that made 3x such a bore. :)

GreatLemur

Explorer
I'm totally happy with it. 4 editions in three freaking decades is pretty reasonable, if you ask me. Hell, freaking Talislanta's in its fifth edition, and that one's only been around for two (hands up, who remembers the "NO ELVES!" ad campaign in Dragon?).

The focus on Internet-based tools isn't any kind of problem, as my whole life is focused on Internet-based tools. Even my face-to-face games have mailing lists and wikis set up to support them. Plus, the more graphical approach of a lot of that stuff might help to drag back players who've been lured away by MMORPGs (my wife, for example).

So far, it sounds like the changes to the class system don't really go far enough for my taste, but since 4E is to be OGL system--and that was seriously my main concern with the whole thing--I know there will be plenty of great variants coming from third parties.

So, yeah, I'm pretty happy, at the moment. I'm just wondering how I'll be able to break the news to my gaming group, who, by the new PHB's release, will only have been playing D&D for about a year.

Not upset, here, either. Not very optimistic about 4E (especially given the preview videos) or the digital initiative, but I don't have any emotional investment in 3E or 4E, at this point. And there's always the long shot possibility that 4E will appeal to me.

Cadfan

First Post
I'm not upset.

I work primarily out of the SRD. Its where I learned the rules, and my only reference material. I have purchased a few expansions (Tome of Battle, Tome of Magic, Heroes of Battle), which I enjoyed. I plan to operate in 4th Ed in the same manner. Essentially, I don't expect that my purchasing of gaming materials will change in rate due to 4th Ed. Every year or so I buy one book, and I play mostly from the SRD. This will continue.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm really happy about what I'm hearing so far (with the exception of DDM 2.0), and I have almost every Wizards 3.5e book. That's a lot of shelf-space (60+ hardcovers?) that will be dead... but I reckon I've had my money's worth from those books.

Cheers!

Remove ads