• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm sick of...

Nagol

Unimportant
I gotta admit, I'm absolutely shocked at the lack of outreach by WOTC into the internet. Other than blogs, what contact do they have with fans? Granted, after the first year or so of the release of 4e, any WOTC employee that made the mistake of wandering over here got flash mobbed, but, it has quieted down considerably since then.

I actually can't remember the last time I saw a WOTC employee make an appearance here. And that's sad. It used to be that you'd see them once in a while. Maybe not all the time, but, at least once a month or so they'd drop in and have a few words.

Yeah, WOTC's not exactly topping any charts with its reaching out to the community, that's for sure.

That' because all the employees that did that... aren't employees any more.

Hussar

Legend
That' because all the employees that did that... aren't employees any more.

Well, there is that. Although, to be fair, Mearls used to make an appearance here once in a while.

Whoever took over Rouse's job certainly seems to be pretty damn shy.

Stormonu

Legend
I'm sick of waiting for 5E ;)

Actually the lull between the end of 3E and 4E did me a huge favor. We had just finished our 3E campaign when the 4E announcement came out. So, while we waited we tried the slew of other systems I had on my shelves that had been collected dust.

We tried a whole slew of games - Vampire: The Requiem, Castles & Crusades, Chronicles of Ramlar, Alternity, Serenity, Legends of the 5 Rings, Star Wars SAGA, Villains & Vigilantes, and Savage Worlds. I tried 4E on four different occasions, it was just never my cup of tea.

The one thing I realized trying out all these games was D&D felt too mired in complexity. I started longing for a game that wasn't so rule-laden. My players pretty much fell in love with the World of Darkness system, I really was flattened by Savage Worlds.

Now, 2-3 years later, we're going to try Rise of the Runelords with Pathfinder. If that should fall through (I have some reserves about some of the changes), I'm going back to either BECM(I) or 2E (playing I6 - Ravenloft a couple of weeks ago back with 2E rules was really, really enjoyable).

Unless 5E just knocks my socks off.

Embermage

Explorer
I gotta admit, I'm absolutely shocked at the lack of outreach by WOTC into the internet. Other than blogs, what contact do they have with fans? Granted, after the first year or so of the release of 4e, any WOTC employee that made the mistake of wandering over here got flash mobbed, but, it has quieted down considerably since then.

I actually can't remember the last time I saw a WOTC employee make an appearance here. And that's sad. It used to be that you'd see them once in a while. Maybe not all the time, but, at least once a month or so they'd drop in and have a few words.

Yeah, WOTC's not exactly topping any charts with its reaching out to the community, that's for sure.

I know this is a hate thread, but I have to point this out as one of the things I love about Pathfinder. Want to know why a rule was written the way it was? Post on their forums, get a response from the guy who wrote it that way (or someone equally informed in the decision, but the point remains).

On the occasion that I hold my breath and venture onto the WotC D&D forums, the only time I see a response like that is from Keith Baker, who happily comments on Eberron because he's just that cool a guy. That kind of direct feedback speaks volumes for the connection between designers and their audience, to me.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I'm sick of being left un-impressed by both 4e and Pathfinder design decisions, leading me to regret nearly every D&D-related purchase even before I buy it because I'm buying to keep playing with my pals in game systems I'm just not excited by. I keep looking for something to hook me with, and I'm looking . . .

I'm sick of feeling like my RPG gaming communities are shrinking, dividing, segregating, and abandoning each other.

Hussar

Legend
I know this is a hate thread, but I have to point this out as one of the things I love about Pathfinder. Want to know why a rule was written the way it was? Post on their forums, get a response from the guy who wrote it that way (or someone equally informed in the decision, but the point remains).

On the occasion that I hold my breath and venture onto the WotC D&D forums, the only time I see a response like that is from Keith Baker, who happily comments on Eberron because he's just that cool a guy. That kind of direct feedback speaks volumes for the connection between designers and their audience, to me.

Y'know, regardless of where anyone falls on which edition they prefer, I really don't think anyone could possibly find fault with Paizo's level of customer service. I might not play Pathfinder, but, as far as customer service goes, these guys rock on toast.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Feel free to comment on my rants. Feel free to add your own.

The exp comment I gave Wiseblood was ment for you. :D

Anyways, I haven't played DnD in a long time, instead, the WoTC products I followed were d20M (and its spin offs) and Star Wars. However, I totally agree. I loved d20M and wished they would have polished that and made a decent attempt at a second edition that was along the lines of Star Wars Saga Edition. I also wished they would have actually produced the books for Star Wars Saga Edition in a fashion that made sense (as well as included rules for making new vehicles and not just star ships and creating balanced alien races). But alas, they didn't.

What really broke my heart was when they killed my my dreams of d20M 2e by making Gamma World be based on 4e with Cards!

Oh well... at least I got Mutants and Masterminds because WoTC decided not to make a supers game when they thought "Super Heroes are not economically feasible for us." :D

Last edited:

catastrophic

First Post
I'm sick and tired of the fact that, even after something like almost 40 years of D&D, there is STILL no official ruling on how to handle a "cocked" die. Seriously, people!
Um, ever heard of a game called Amber?!?!? It solved this, the worst of all rpg problems, quite handily.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads