D&D 5E I'm so excited (and I just can't hide it)

Quickleaf

Legend
I am excited too, but not for the reason you think :)

For me, the 5e rules are ok, but not great. It's the paradigm shift that seems to have occurred at Wizards that has me more excited. Running a public playtest, selling PDFs of all editions, embracing the diversity of play styles, focusing on D&D more as a body of lore & gamer community than a particular rules set. I think that coupled with the (eventual) film and other media releases, these are all good signs.

Libramarian

Adventurer
I mean, we want them to continue to improve the game, right?
I'm not sure I do. With this amount of time in development I'm sure 5e out of the gate will be a basically solid, fully-cooked game. It seems to me that post-release errata will be largely tweaks to character abilities to remove loopholes and broken synergies, most of which will not yet have become a problem in my own game, driven by the complaints of people who are more concerned about character balance than I tend to be. I'll have to compare the rules pre and post errata every time to see if I actually agree that the new rules are better. Sounds like a hassle. I'd rather house rule to solve problems as they come up.

Remember also that the DMG is going to be essentially a toolbox for customization, so homebrewing is considered the norm.
True. The DMG as a "hacker's guide" to the game sounds great.

Ballbo Big'uns

Explorer
I poo-poo'd the playtest rules a lot last year, but the game has been growing on me more and more lately.

I think that the game just might be the updated BECMI/RC D&D I've been wanting.

I foresee running the full-on Advanced D&D games alongside heavily hacked Basic D&D games.

My one concern is that I don't see a lot of buzz on other forums. Then again the rules are simple enough to teach to new gamers, so I'll always have people to game with.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I'll add my name to the excited list. I've enjoyed playtesting the game over the past few years and I'm curious to see how the final product shapes up. I like the direction and the way it seems to be easy for DM to run the game that he/she wants to run.

I'm looking forward to WotC support as well.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
This is awesome. This is about the third time this week you've posted something for which I tried to give you experience points, but was rebuffed for not "spreading them around enough". So I just wanted to say, keep making awesome posts.

It would be super cool if we could see graphs of the trends of these numbers over time.

[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] has access to older data, and he's really good at making graphs :) Though keep in mind there was a huge shift when he changed it to include some sales data, instead of just discussion data. At the time, there was nothing for sale for 5e. There's still very little...

Verys Arkon

First Post
Getting excited. Already posted my 5e Character Sheet Booklet (folded landscape, double-sided, and form-fill). It is one of the first things I do every edition.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=file&fileid=2305

Verys_Arkon's_5eCharacterSheet_Booklet Preview.JPG

Remove ads