I'm young but I play d&d

aco175

Legend
I would echo an earlier reply about having a gaming group your age to play with in school. I had 2 groups of kids my age in middle school and high school that I played with. One was my older brother and some of his friends from the neighborhood and the other was school friends my age once my brothers graduated and moved on. These early games were filled with both wonder and nonsense, realistic and fantastic, joy and anger. We would argue about rules and how things worked different in my world vs. his world. We would make up monsters and sprinkle magic like candy, but it was fun.

There was another group I played in as well in high school where I was the youngest and everyone was 10+ years older where things were different. Not better or worse, but different in that they wanted to plan how we would storm the tower instead of charging at the front door. Watching the tower for a couple days before sneaking up to a window. Planning a roadside ambush for a group of bandits. I think the DM was killed several times as a player and wanted things more gritty and deadly. It was fun as well and I learned varied aspects of playing and being a DM, especially when others would DM and I got to see the different styles of gaming.

One of the best parts of being 13 is that you can show up to play. If you have a set time and day you play on it should be easy for you to be on time and make it regularly to each event. This is great since others with jobs and kids of their own become harder to make it each week. You also should take advantage of the character creation ideas on backgrounds and flaws to help make good characters. Give some background and open ended problems your character is searching for. You DM will be able to bring that into the game and the rest of the players well be able to help you quests when they show up.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
InfernoAvenger,

At my age ... I am almost your grandfather (insert Darth Vader breath hiss here).

I make a point to take new players and teens 'under my wing' and help them out. (Even when I'm the DM.) The most fun I've had at table is when a new player has the 'light bulb' over their head blink on because they 'get it' what D&D is supposed to be, or they tried something and it worked !
As a player, I've been known to alter what I would normally do so I can set up the new guy for a successful shot at what his character does best. (Ex: my Paladin to newbie Rogue "Run up to this monster I'm standing beside, whack it and add your Sneak Attack, then duck behind me. If he chases you, I'll whack him for his efforts." The Rogue did more damage to the monster than I did. And I complemented her for it.)

In most cases, adult players want 'kids', 'teens' and new people to succeed, have fun, and come back. Let the group know that you are looking for a mentor, and somebody will accept you as their apprentice. I have no doubt, though, that you will soon grow through the role and be confident in your own skills.

Remove ads