Immortals Handbook Epic Bestiary (now available)

Hey poilbrun matey! :)

poilbrun said:
How would this be handled? That kind of defeats the usual D&D paradigm of a party of 4 heroes defeating an enemy more powerful than themselves...

Well in my eyes a defeated being with the Cosmic String power would revert to its inert state (that of being a planar layer/plane/dimension). It could of course be reawakened/re-summoned again, but doing so requires a massive expenditure of energy.

Those no longer bound by planar geography would have to be imprisoned in some fashion before they rejuvenated...again requiring a massive expenditure of energy.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Id like to keep the light of the fallen portion as well as the rest, perhaps a name change and a challenge rating increase. as for purple...purple is my favorite color, but I was more going for a fallen angel that doesnt llook like a fallen angel, at least not in the eyes of a mortal. What christian would ever think a purple angel is holy. As cool as it would look, it would kinda defy the point. This creature is designed for a campaign where christians...catholics primarily...are inherently corrupt and rely on visual cues to determine if some thing is holy or not. The name change... what is that anti seraphim term from, it sounds familiar.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
"Anything that has regeneration cannot have grafts, the grafts are forced out in favor of the supernatural body/limbs." - Kalitharus

This isn't entirely true, not all forms of regeneration are powerful enough to prevent certain things from being grafted. For example, mithril could be grafted to a creature that suffers lethal damage from mithril. Sure...it would hurt like :):):):), but thats kinda the point. Imagine a creature, whos regeneration was supernatural rather than extraordinary, caught in an antimagic field...they would have little if any options. Or lets say someone smart uses a sword that prevents regeneration, or someone smarter inflicts vile damage, which cannot be healed except upon holy ground. Lying there...dying and in pain...they might just accept the horific alternative and then seek vengeance. You severely limit yourself by thinking inside the box. Epic Level is anything but inside the box. It's inside the box, all over the box, and out the door. Anything is possible given the right circumstances.

Hey dante! :)

dante58701 said:
Id like to keep the light of the fallen portion as well as the rest, perhaps a name change and a challenge rating increase. as for purple...purple is my favorite color, but I was more going for a fallen angel that doesnt llook like a fallen angel, at least not in the eyes of a mortal. What christian would ever think a purple angel is holy. As cool as it would look, it would kinda defy the point. This creature is designed for a campaign where christians...catholics primarily...are inherently corrupt and rely on visual cues to determine if some thing is holy or not. The name change... what is that anti seraphim term from, it sounds familiar.

Thinking about it though, what the heck is an Old One doing corrupting mortals in the first place!? These monsters should be embroiled in cosmic wars not tempting mortal paladins - we already have Succubi for that. I am not convinced the idea works. Mortals would be less than ants beneath a boot to such beings.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Perhaps, but what if they sway entire worlds. Or fight unseen battles by swerving the clergy. Sure a succubi could do it, but why waste time trusting a subordinate to do something that you could do a billions times faster and a billion times better. Plus, whomever said that all supreme beings are all flash and pizazz, maybe there are a few, like those who fell from grace, that enjoy personally swaying favored followers of god, and subsequently entire nations, into ruin. The possibilities are endless. Imagine a succubi, if you will, limited by her limited imagination and abilities. She could seduce countless morons into evil and vice, but how many could dupe the mighty 60th level paladin, or the 100th level priest who swaggers round full of holy godliness. Maybe the angel just enjoys screwing with mortals...gods do it all the time. Mortals are like chess pieces to gods...the fallen seraphim I envision would be the spoiled brat that comes along and knocks half the pieces off the board, while simultaneously luring the other half into damnation and ruin by tipping the balance of the board in his favor. Then the other angels would be distracted into fighting him, while his true agenda is being realized elsewhere in another universe.

I did consider some of your ideas though, as noted above...and I increased the time increment for the light of the fallen to once per 1d3 rounds rather than once per 1d2. I figured since there was a one half increase in the number of times they could do it in a round, then the waiting period should be likewise increased. I also made them a deep purple, beause I realized how stupid my argument was, they can disguise themselves as lesser angels. enabling them to lie more thoroughly. In case your wondering, I actually do use them for cosmic level battles. Often they fight adamic dragons. Who cannot stand their meddling.

Last edited:

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Sidenote....what would the child of a grigori (with their current outcast status) and a human be?

Here's a scary thought, an Amidah Flaga Mercury Guardian.

Virtually unstoppable, but I can think of a few ways that dont involve acid, cold, fire, magic, or psionics. The first idea, go back in time to when it was being created, then kill it's creator. If that fails, simply find a nifty abomination to dump it in.

Here's a cool website...http://kyia.com/Taeran_DnD3_Monster_Templates.html

Last edited:

historian

First Post
Hey U_K! :)

Firstly, a fallen Seraphim would be called a Balseraph (Anti-Seraphim)

That's wicked . . . really.

Also I don't think I would give them the Scrolls of Divine Holy Knowledge, although I suppose they could have corrupted it into the Black Bible of Insidious Hypocrisy which gives opponents a -32 insight penalty rather than a bonus to the Seraphim.

That's equally coal.

I'm thinking this Artifact is even more powerful than the Seraphim's Artifact assuming it could stack! :eek:

Can you imagine the 7 sins ganging up on one opponent?

Well in my eyes a defeated being with the Cosmic String power would revert to its inert state (that of being a planar layer/plane/dimension). It could of course be reawakened/re-summoned again, but doing so requires a massive expenditure of energy.

Again, what you're describing is a wonderfully elegant solution that I'm embarrased I didn't think of sooner. :eek:

dante58701

Banned
Banned
I present...the Defiant One and the Mercurial Orichalcum Assassin. The best of both worlds and quite deadly. I guestimated the challenge rating. This one was fun.

ABOMINATION (God-Spawn)

These outcast progeny of the gods are born twixt an unholy union of the divine and the damned.

ABOMINATION TRAITS

• Ability Scores: Table A-1: Typical Abomination Statistics outlines the typical physical ability scores for abominations.

• Damage Reduction: Typically, abominations have damage reduction equal to half their Hit Dice (rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5)

• Divine Traits: Abominations are effectively quasi-deities and as such add a +4 divine bonus to: armor class; attack rolls; checks (ability checks, caster level checks, skill checks, turning checks); difficulty class (for any special abilities, spell-like abilities, spells); initiative; saving throws and spell resistance.

• Immunities: Abominations are immune to enchantment, illusionist and transmutation magic. They are not subject to energy drain, ability damage or drain.

• Special Qualities: Abominations are not subject to death from massive damage and have maximum hit points per Hit Die.

• Spell Resistance : Typically, abominations have spell resistance equal to 14 (base 10 + 4 divine bonus) plus their Hit Dice.

• Telepathy: Abominations can communicate telepathically with any creature within 1000 feet that has a language.

• Virtual Size Category: Most abominations have at least 15 points of strength beyond the average for creatures of that size and as such gain a Virtual Size Category.

BUILDING ABOMINATIONS

The following information, updates and expands upon page 157 of the Epic Level Handbook.

Fast Healing (Ex): Abominations may have fast healing up to half their total Hit Dice (rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5).

Regeneration (Su): Abominations may also have regeneration equal to half their total Hit Dice (rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5). Any regeneration will be negated by the same type of attacks that would overcome the abominations damage reduction (other than merely epic).

Natural Armor (Ex): Determine natural armor as follows:

• Amorphous/fluid body: Natural armor = size bonuses only.

• Skin/furred body: Natural armor = 1/4 HD + any bonuses for size.

• Scaly skin/exoskeleton: Natural armor = 1/2 HD + any bonuses for size. Treat Dexterity as if wearing medium armor.

• Carapace plated/mineral-like body: Natural Armor = HD + any bonuses for size. Treat Dexterity as if wearing heavy armor.

Spell-like Abilities (Sp): All abominations possess spell-like abilities which are cast at a level equal to their Hit Dice + 4 (divine bonus).

Unique Abilities (Variable): All abominations have one or more unique abilities. See the Immortals Handbook: Apotheosis (Chapter Four: Abilities & Feats) for hundreds of possible powers.

TABLE A-1: TYPICAL ABOMINATION STATISTICS

Size Str Dex Con # of HD
Fine 24-25 26-27 8-9 4-9
Diminutive 24-25 24-25 12-13 7-13
Tiny 28-29 22-23 16-17 10-21
Small 32-33 20-21 20-21 19-33
Medium 34-35 18-19 24-25 27-38
Large 44-45 16-17 28-29 36-50
Huge 54-55 14-15 32-33 47-58
Gargantuan 64-65 12-13 36-37 56-70
Colossal 74-75 10-11 40-41 67-78
Titanic 84-85 10 44-45 76-90

ABOMINATION CULTS

Each abomination entry includes details on possible cults. Clerics of abominations are granted up to 7th-level spells.

ABOMINATION, DEFIANT ONE
Defiant Mercurial Orichalcum Assassin
Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 62d100+5120 (11,320 hp)
Initiative: +19 (+14 Dex, +4 Divine, +1 Haste, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 120 ft. (20 squares)
Armor Class: 233 (+14 Dex, +4 Divine, +1 Dodge, +214 natural), touch 29, flat-footed 224
Base Attack/Grapple: +46/+178
Attack: Slam +162 melee (120d10+128 plus poison and sharpness )
Full Attack:10 Slams (5 slams +162/+162/+157/+152/+147 melee (120d10+128 plus poison and sharpness) + 5 Slams +162/+162/+157/+152/+147 melee (120d10+128 plus poison and sharpness))
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Plasma beam, poison, sharpness, supernova
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction half/bludgeoning, damage reduction 100/-, darkvision 60 ft., find master, fast healing 100, guard, indissoluble, immunity to magic, legendary dexterity, low-light vision, omnicompetent, quickness, shield other, slip stream, spell resistance 76, spell storing, unearthly construction
Saves: Fort +31, Ref +36, Will +41
Abilities: Str 267 (+128), Dex 38, Con -, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 18
Skills: Omnicompetant - All skills 65 + ability bonus
Feats: Ambidexterity, Dark Speech, Cleave, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Great Cleave, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Critical (slam), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (slam), Improved Trip, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Mobility, Power Attack, Spring Attack, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (slam), Whirlwind Attack
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: ?
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 63-92 HD (Medium), 93-186 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

Named so for the first of it's kind. This automaton is humanoid in shape and the height of a tall man. It's fashioned from a deep black metal, it's exact origins are unknown to you. It's form is smooth, featureless and reflects the light as would a mirror, while it's eyes burn the deep crimson of blood. As you approach the creatures hands morph into long blades. It's movements are fast and fluid.

Most defiant ones are the forgotten mercurial orichalcum assassins, of wars fought between overgods millions of years in the past, that had slain enough gods to become divine themselves. Others are remnants of blasphemous magical experiments. Each fashioned in the guise of humanoids of the time, rules over it's lesser kindred with an orichalcum hand. Very few beings, even overdeities, possess both the knowledge and the power to create such powerful beings, and ironically that very knowledge is probably to be found in the lost ruins of the once flying cities of the ancients, likely guarded by the defiant ones themselves.

Defiant ones prefer to send in their lessers to handle trivial opponents. However, when faced with a worthy adversary, the defiant one is a relentless and uncompromising opponent, fast and decidedly deadly. The most astute of them will ward the areas they dwell in and those presided over by their lessers with spells inhibiting the use of acid, cold or fire based magic, their only true weaknesses. They are also well known for their shameless abuse of prisoners.

Defiant ones stand 7 feet tall and weigh 1,350,000 tons, their extremely high density gives them +15 Virtual Size Categories.

Defiant ones speak only when moved to do so.

COMBAT

Defiant ones are almost unstoppable foes, crushing all opposition with their fists and plasma beam attack.

Abomination Traits:

• Divine Traits: Abominations are effectively quasi-deities and as such add a +4 divine bonus to: armor class; attack rolls; checks (ability checks, caster level checks, skill checks, turning checks); difficulty class (for any special abilities, spell-like abilities, spells); initiative; saving throws and spell resistance.

• Immunities: Abominations are immune to enchantment, illusionist and transmutation magic. They are not subject to energy drain, ability damage or drain.

• Special Qualities: Abominations are not subject to death from massive damage and have maximum hit points per Hit Die.

• Telepathy: Abominations can communicate telepathically with any creature within 1000 feet that has a language.

• Virtual Size Category: Most abominations have at least 15 points of strength beyond the average for creatures of that size and as such gain a Virtual Size Category. It should be noted that defiant ones have a total of 16 Virtual Size Categories due to their mercurial orichalcum construction.

Call Mercurial Orichalcum Assassin (Sp): Once per day a defiant one can “call” a mercurial orichalcum assassin to serve it for an indefinate period of time. The mercurial orichalcum assassin serve to the best of it's ability and defies all other attempts to control it.

Damage Reduction (Ex): Defiant ones take half damage from all attacks except those that deal bludgeoning or crushing damage.

Damage Reduction (Ex): The mercurial orichalcum composing a defiant one has a natural hardness of 100.

Fast Healing (Ex): The immense gravitational energy of the defiant one binds it together allowing it to naturally heal 100 hit points per round.

Immunity to Magic (Su): The defiant one is immune to all spells and spell-like abilities that allow spell resistance except as follows:

Acid-based attacks permanently damage the defiant one (though only deal half damage).

Cold-based attacks will disrupt the defiant one similar to physical attacks (though again only deal half damage). However, any cold damage requires an additional round to heal (see the Indissoluble ability). So if the defiant one was reduced to 0 or fewer hit points from cold damage alone, it would be incapacitated the rest of that round and all the next round. Cold-based damage does not work in tandem with fire for the purpose of incapacitating the defiant one.

Fire-based attacks will disrupt the defiant one similar to physical attacks (and likewise only deal half damage).

Indissoluble (Ex): The defiant one completely heals all damage (except acid based damage) at the end of every round, as if it had infinite regeneration. If reduced to 0 hit points (or less) by any means other than acid, the defiant one is not destroyed, but out of commission and incapacitated until the end of that round only. It starts the beginning of the next round with its full hit points. The defiant one cannot be destroyed by brute force, only delayed.

Legendary Dexterity (Ex): The defiant one's amazing agility is renowned. Their dexterity score is twice that of other abominations their size.

Omnicompetent (Ex): Defiant ones know all skills and have maximum ranks in each.

Plasma Beam (Su): As a free action, every 1d2 rounds, the defiant one can generate a beam of divine fire with an effective range of 17.5 miles. Targets struck by the beam suffer 62d100 (d100/Hit Dice of the defiant one) divine fire damage. This ability is a ranged touch effect.

Poison (Ex): Targets wounded by the defiant one must make a Fortitude save against poison (DC 22). Primary and secondary effect are 1 point of damage to each ability score.

Quickness (Su): The defiant one is supernaturally fast and should be treated as if constantly hasted. This gives it an extra attack when full attacking, a +1 bonus to attack rolls, a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves.

Sharpness (Su): Any attack by the defiant one scoring a natural 20 (requiring a critical confirmation) will sever one of the opponents appendages. Roll randomly to determine which appendage is severed. For humanoids roll a d12: 1-2 head, 3-4 left arm, 5-6 right arm, 7-8 torso, 9-10 left leg, 11-12 right leg. Creatures with multiple heads, multiple limbs, tails or wings may add extra variables. Those creatures with appendages too thick to be severed

Slipstream (Su): Defiant ones cannot be affected by temporal magic unless they so wish, neither can they be undermined by time travel.

Spell Storing (Sp): A defiant one can store spells totalling 31 spell levels, cast into it by another creature or itself. It casts these spells whenever it desires to do so or when a pre-defined situation arises.

Supernova (Ex): The death throes of the defiant one result in a spectacular show of energy much akin to an atomic explosion. Table G-4: Defiant One Death Throes; outlines the damage. The blast effect should be treated as bludgeoning damage. The effect is roughly equivalent to 1 megaton of TNT.

TABLE G-4: DEFIANT ONE DEATH THROES

Radius Disintigration Fireball Blast Radiation*
1300 feet Fort DC 72 120d6 180d6 18
2300 feet - 120d6 180d6 18
1.75 miles - - 180d6 18
2.75 miles - - 18d6 1
3.75 miles - - 1d6 -

*Ability damage to Strength, Dexterity and Constitution.

Spell-like Abilities (Sp): At will – air walk, angry ache, animate dead, bestow greater curse, blasphemy, control weather, create greater undead, create undead, crushing fist of spite, curse of the putrid husk, dancing chains, damning darkness, darkbolt, darkness, death grimace, deeper darkness, demand, earthquake, eternity of torture, evard's black tentacles, evil weather, freedom, gate, greater teleport, grim revenge, hellball, imprisonment, let go of me, liquid pain, masochism, mindrape, plane shift, power word (any), pox, sadism, screen, shades, shadow walk, shapechange, shriveling, stoneshape, storm of vengeance, stop heart, symbol (any), telekinesis, thousand needles, unhallow, unholy aura, unholy blight, utterdark, wall of chains, wall of deadly chains, wall of force, wall of iron, wall of stone, water walk, wave of pain, wither limb, and wrack, 7/day - damnation, momento mori, and raise island. Level 66th; Save DC 45 + spell level.

Spells (Sp): Defiant ones cast spells as 31st-level Clerics (half their Hit Dice rounded down) with access to the domains of darkness and pain. Caster level 66th. The save DCs are Wisdom-based.

Unearthly Construction (Ex): These cosmic constructs use d100s for Hit Dice. Defiant ones also have maximum hit points per Hit Die.

Mercurial Orichalcum Assassin
Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 62d100+5120 (11,320 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 60 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 213 (+5 Dex, +1 Dodge, +197 natural), touch 16, flat-footed 207
Base Attack/Grapple: +46/+162
Attack: Slam +162 melee (80d10+116 plus poison and sharpness )
Full Attack: 3 slams +162 melee (80d10+116 plus poison and sharpness )
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Plasma beam, poison, sharpness, supernova
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction half/bludgeoning, damage reduction 100/-, darkvision 60 ft., find master, fast healing 100, guard, indissoluble, immunity to magic, low-light vision, quickness, shield other, spell storing, unearthly construction
Saves: Fort +27, Ref +32, Will +27
Abilities: Str 242 (+116), Dex 21, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 75
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 63-92 HD (Medium), 93-186 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

This automaton is humanoid in shape and the height of a tall man. It's fashioned from a deep black metal, it's exact origins are unknown to you. It's form is smooth, featureless and reflects the light as would a mirror, while it's eyes burn the deep crimson of blood. As you approach the creatures hands morph into long blades. It's movements are fast and fluid.

Mercurial orichalcum assassins are created from the extremely dense material of a white dwarf star. Most remaining mercurial orichalcum assassins are the forgotten assassins of wars fought between overgods millions of years in the past. Each is fashioned in the guise of humanoids of the time. Very few beings, even deities, possess both the knowledge and the power to create such powerful servants. Ironically that very knowledge is probably to be found in the lost ruins of the once flying cities of the ancients, likely guarded by mercurial orichalcum assassin themselves.

The mercurial orichalcum assassin is a relentless and uncompromising opponent, fast and decidedly deadly. The most astute of creators will ward the area presided over by the mercurial orichalcum assassin with spells inhibiting the use of acid, cold or fire based magic, its only true weaknesses.

Mercurial orichalcum assassins stand 7 feet tall and weigh 1,350,000 tons, their extremely high density gives them +15 Virtual Size Categories.

Mercurial orichalcum assassins do not speak.

COMBAT

Mercurial orichalcum assassins are almost unstoppable foes, crushing all opposition with their fists and plasma beam attack.

Damage Reduction (Ex): Mercurial orichalcum assassins take half damage from all attacks except those that deal bludgeoning or crushing damage.

Damage Reduction (Ex): Mercurial orichalcum itself has a natural hardness of 100.

Fast Healing (Ex): The immense gravitational energy of the mercurial orichalcum assassin binds it together allowing it to naturally heal 100 hit points per round.

Find Master (Su): As long as the mercurial orichalcum assassin and the amulet are on the same plane, the assassin can find the amulet wearer.

Guard (Ex): All attacks against the amulet wearer are at -2 penalty when the mercurial orichalcum assassin is adjacent to its master.

Immunity to Magic (Su): The mercurial orichalcum assassin is immune to all spells and spell-like abilities that allow spell resistance except as follows:

Acid-based attacks permanently damage the mercurial orichalcum assassin (though only deal half damage).

Cold-based attacks will disrupt the mercurial orichalcum assassin similar to physical attacks (though again only deal half damage). However, any cold damage requires an additional round to heal (see the Indissoluble ability). So if the mercurial orichalcum assassin was reduced to 0 or fewer hit points from cold damage alone, it would be incapacitated the rest of that round and all the next round. Cold-based damage does not work in tandem with fire for the purpose of incapacitating the mercurial orichalcum assassin.

Fire-based attacks will disrupt the mercurial orichalcum assassin similar to physical attacks (and likewise only deal half damage).

Indissoluble (Ex): The mercurial orichalcum assassin completely heals all damage (except acid based damage) at the end of every round, as if it had infinite regeneration. If reduced to 0 hit points (or less) by any means other than acid, the mercurial orichalcum assassin is not destroyed, but out of commission and incapacitated until the end of that round only. It starts the beginning of the next round with its full hit points. The mercurial orichalcum assassin cannot be destroyed by brute force, only delayed.

Plasma Beam (Su): As a free action, every 1d2 rounds, the mercurial orichalcum assassin can generate a beam of divine fire with an effective range of 17.5 miles. Targets struck by the beam suffer 62d100 (d100/Hit Dice of the mercurial orichalcum assassin) divine fire damage. This ability is a ranged touch effect.

Poison (Ex): Targets wounded by the mercurial orichalcum assassin must make a Fortitude save against poison (DC 22). Primary and secondary effect are 1 point of damage to each ability score.

Quickness (Su): The mercurial orichalcum assassin is supernaturally fast and should be treated as if constantly hasted. This gives it an extra attack when full attacking, a +1 bonus to attack rolls, a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves.

Sharpness (Su): Any attack by the mercurial orichalcum assassin scoring a natural 20 (requiring a critical confirmation) will sever one of the opponents appendages. Roll randomly to determine which appendage is severed. For humanoids roll a d12: 1-2 head, 3-4 left arm, 5-6 right arm, 7-8 torso, 9-10 left leg, 11-12 right leg. Creatures with multiple heads, multiple limbs, tails or wings may add extra variables. Those creatures with appendages too thick to be severed

Shield Other (Sp): The wearer of the amulet can activate this ability if within 250 feet of the mercurial orichalcum assassin.

Spell Storing (Sp): A mercurial orichalcum assassin can store spells totalling 31 spell levels, cast into it by another creature. It casts these spells when commanded to do so or when a pre-defined situation arises.

Supernova (Ex): The death throes of the mercurial orichalcum assassin result in a spectacular show of energy much akin to an atomic explosion. Table G-4: Mercurial Orichalcum Assassin Death Throes; outlines the damage. The blast effect should be treated as bludgeoning damage. The effect is roughly equivalent to 1 megaton of TNT.

TABLE G-4: MERCURIAL ORICHALCUM ASSASSIN DEATH THROES

Radius Disintigration Fireball Blast Radiation*
1300 feet Fort DC 72 120d6 180d6 18
2300 feet - 120d6 180d6 18
1.75 miles - - 180d6 18
2.75 miles - - 18d6 1
3.75 miles - - 1d6 -

*Ability damage to Strength, Dexterity and Constitution.

Unearthly Construction (Ex): These cosmic constructs use d100s for Hit Dice. Mercurial orichalcum assassins also have maximum hit points per Hit Die.

Last edited:

poilbrun

Explorer
Upper_Krust said:
Well in my eyes a defeated being with the Cosmic String power would revert to its inert state (that of being a planar layer/plane/dimension). It could of course be reawakened/re-summoned again, but doing so requires a massive expenditure of energy

Those no longer bound by planar geography would have to be imprisoned in some fashion before they rejuvenated...again requiring a massive expenditure of energy.
Well, seen that way, Cosmic String is an awesome power. I like the idea of the enemy tied to the planes in a way that he is virtually undefeatable.

A question though: what happens to the layer/plane/dimension when such a creature awakens? What happens when the creature really dies (because it is killed by an opponent of higher status)?

paradox42

First Post
poilbrun said:
Well, seen that way, Cosmic String is an awesome power. I like the idea of the enemy tied to the planes in a way that he is virtually undefeatable.

A question though: what happens to the layer/plane/dimension when such a creature awakens? What happens when the creature really dies (because it is killed by an opponent of higher status)?
I agree with the above- I had thought that a Cosmic String monster would just plain pop back up and start wailing on its enemies again after 1d10 (or whatever) rounds, but this way is much cooler. Those questions are important to answer, doing it the "rejuvenation means merging with the plane" way.

Is this explained more fully in Ascension, where the Cosmic String power is listed?

Last edited:

Remove ads