Implosion

Justin

Explorer
The SRD says that implosion "create a destructive resonance in a corporeal creature’s body...caus[ing] one creature to collapse in on itself, killing it." Not to be gross, but what exactly would be the visual result of this? Is this something that would make even a hardened coroner sick, or is the damage more internal than anything?

Muaythaidaddy

First Post
I always viewed the implosion spell as an effect that - visually - just sees the target creature messily fold in upon itself, almost like the creature was being crushed into a tiny space by invisible forces, screaming and spraying volumes of blood & gore along the way.

I think it makes for a particularly nice "Chtulhuian" type of spell and, thus, should be horrible to watch.

Markn

First Post
Picture Sauron in Lord of the Rings

If you've watched Lord of the Rings I would say what happens to Sauron to be Implosion.

Justin

Explorer
Muaythaidaddy said:
I always viewed the implosion spell as an effect that - visually - just sees the target creature messily fold in upon itself, almost like the creature was being crushed into a tiny space by invisible forces, screaming and spraying volumes of blood & gore along the way.

I think it makes for a particularly nice "Chtulhuian" type of spell and, thus, should be horrible to watch.

So are there no remains, or just enough for spells like resurrection and reincarnate to work?

Ambrus

Explorer
The word 'implosion' in my opinion, just like an explosion, denotes a quick and violent movement of matter. So I'd say that the character would shrink so quickly as to seem to essentially disapear from sight. It would also create a strong vacuum which would cause the surrounding air to rush into the void quickly, causing a loud and turbulent displacement of air towards the now vanished character. After that, you'd have to decide whether the remains of the victim remain behind after the spell ends or whether the matter is somehow destroyed or shunted into some kind of other dimension. If it's the former, there wouldn't be any secondary effects. If it's the latter however, the now hyper-condensed matter of the victim's body would immediately expand outwards again, covering everything within the area in a spray of chunky salsa. :eek:

I'd vote for the latter myself.
That's my take on it at least. :]

First off, let me just say I've killed more Epic NPCs and PCs in my game with this spell than any other. Yes, lots of instant death spells get thrown around, but this one seems to work better than most. :)

Anyway, I've always pictured an implosion to be equivalent to a invisible trash compactor hitting someone from all sides. There would be a horrific sound of bones popping and crushing as the character's body folds in on itself. Blood would come pouring out of all oraphices (spelling???) and the character would continue to compact itself until it was about 1/4 of its overall size. Then, when the spell ends, the body pushes back out, similar to an accordian being pulled outwards.

It is possible to resurrect or true res., but the body itself is pretty much useless and unrepairable.

Later,

AoA

Nebulous

Legend
I guess i've never thought about what a gross spell this is. Explosions are messy too, and usually warrant heat. I'd think that an implosion is messy too, and probably yields an energy output as well, maybe a noticeable flux in gravity and electromagnetism.

It would definitely make a good Cthulhu spell.

Thanee

First Post
Justin said:
Do you mean the Witch-king with the flail?

Sauron is the rather huge individual in the opening scene of Fellowship of the Ring, right before Isildur keeps the ring instead of throwing it into Mount Doom while Elrond is watching (instead of tossing him inside together with the ring ;)). Later in the movie(s), Sauron has no physical body, anymore.

Bye
Thanee

Justin

Explorer
Thanee said:
Sauron is the rather huge individual in the opening scene of Fellowship of the Ring, right before Isildur keeps the ring instead of throwing it into Mount Doom while Elrond is watching (instead of tossing him inside together with the ring ;)). Later in the movie(s), Sauron has no physical body, anymore.

Bye
Thanee

Ah, forgot that part. Been a long time since I watched FotR.

Remove ads