• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In Character Embezzlin` - Another Taboo?

Odysseus

Explorer
If a character is doing it, as long as its out in the open, where the other players know about it. It isn't a taboo. Although you've got to ask about what will happen when the rest of the characters find out. The only negative impact IME was when a character was taking his pick from the loot before the rest of the party got there. Out of character we knew he was doing it, and it was in character, so that wasn't a problem. But he did it so often, he was becoming very wealthy , and spending it on magic items, that the rest of the party couldn't afford. Which started , at least from my POV a bit irritating.

Numion

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
What about my example? My character concept was not one that would typically be considered disruptive, but all of the other players were evil in disguise, so I wound up being the one who embezzled.

Your hands are kinda forced because of the prophecy. You're stuck up with bunch of wierdoes, to say it bluntly. I'd say it's your obligation (if your alignment can oblige you to anything) not to give them any money. Maybe a goodly person would give some to charities, you're right on that regard. Like to offset the damage done by your company. So it's ok from in-character point of view.

From the metagame aspect, it seems possible that players use the prophecy as a crutch to remain together, while doing all the evil stuff. Because they cannot be thrown out of the group, they're free to do anything, even against the party (like the bard episode). So as I see it, from player point of view, they're not doing much to advance everyones enjoyment of the game. So why should you?

I think your character concept is doing just fine, and you're just a victim of the circumstances. Or I don't know victim - if you enjoy the ride, make most of it.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I'd say it's your obligation (if your alignment can oblige you to anything) not to give them any money. Maybe a goodly person would give some to charities, you're right on that regard. Like to offset the damage done by your company. So it's ok from in-character point of view.

Yup, I agree--particularly, my character determined that is was her obligation to keep the money away from them as much as viably possible (this happened the time that they got money and used it to brew addictive alchemical substances and try to start a drug ring, preying on the already impoverished peasants, who were so oppressed that they were easily susceptible to the euphoric escape of the drugs). I did that by giving as little as possible to each one without seeming suspicious, though I gave extra to the rogue as theft insurance :lol:

Romnipotent

First Post
Ambrus said:
That being said I'm afraid that I'm guilty of it as well, but not by choice. My current character is a gold dragon wyrmling (from dragon magazine #320). When we started the campaign we touched briefly on the topic of dividing loot, fairness and such. I stated that my character, being a young dragon and all would naturally be covetous and a little greedy even if he was lawful good.

I'd like to say cool. Call it a "Minding fee" or something , honour for travelling with you, maybe they'll be cool and give you some extra cash, just cause you get happier with it :p

devilbat

First Post
I used to DM a group where we had a player that would cause inner party conflict (i.e. steal, cheat and lie) to other party members. In the end, once the party was fed up enough, they kicked the character out of the party. The player sat their in amazement, as the rest of the group effectively killed his character. So if you're going to do it, so be it, but be prepared for whatever the punishment is.

My problem with these scenerios is that there are always players that end up angry, and carrying a grudge. The last thing Any DM wants is to deal with that type of stuff.

Depends.

I'm very much a 2nd ed gamer. Back then thieves could get bonus XP for gold pieces they found (but which the party didn't). The theory being theif class = stealing. Thus lots of 2nd ed thieves regularly skimmed some off the top for the extra XP. (It was under the optional class experience awards). And, yes, more than one thief met his end as the rest of the party killed his theiving butt.

So in-party stealing has been around for quite a while. I'm glad they got rid of that encouragement to steal though.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
I have characters keeping extra coin all the time in my parties. I half expect it as a player. In the game I am in now I am willing to bet the changling rogue is keeping extra funds for himself. It really doesn't bother me.

A funny story has come out of embezzoling a player.

Cleric making magic items, he trusted the other characters to give him the cash to make there items.
Cleric "Haha I made 300 gold making these magic items for you."
Rogue "You couldn't have I shorted you 500."

Sure enough the clerics calculations were wrong and he was 500 gold in the hole.

Aeric

Explorer
Well, it sounds like the players were aware of it and didn't have a problem with it, which is really the most important consideration in a situation like this. Ideally, you should know before the game even starts whether or not any of your players will have a problem with intra-party conflict; if you know they do, then nip it in the bud. If they don't, let it happen. It can be interesting and fun as long as players don't start getting mad about it.

By way of experience, we had a rather irritating halfling rogue who was skimming off the top every chance she could. As players we knew, but our characters were in the dark. The character was annoying on several levels, though, so we were content to let nature take its course. In the end, she was killed by a new party member for stealing his gear; we paid for her raising with the money she stole from us (we found it in her stuff post-mortem) and gave her the boot. We lost out on the money, but it was a small price to pay to be rid of the little pest.

lukelightning

First Post
My rogue has accidently aqcuired most of the party's wealth. I swear I didn't mean to do it... but since all the other characters are clerics, druids, or a sorcerer, I am the one who gets all the random +1 martial weapons. So I sell them and get a lot of cash, which I forget to give to anyone else.

Remove ads