D&D General In D&D, the Big Bad is the Main Character

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Just as in most action movies, the villain is the guy that actually wants to DO something, to change the world. The heroes are usually just kneejerk conservatives who try to preserve the status quo.
I’ve been trying to flip the script and have the PCs be the ones to try and change the world and let the villains be the conservative ones.

I'm puzzled. What do you think a "character" is?
A character has a distinct and recognisable personality.
To be clear: from my perspective, a novel (not even an RPG novel) has characters. I am using "character" in the story-writing or story-understanding perspective.
A novel does have characters, but the antagonist might not be one. There are a number of ways of writing a novel. You might use 3rd person omniscient narrator (especially common in TV and movies). In which case it's easy to establish the antagonist's personality, since you can include scenes in which they appear that the protagonist knows nothing about. But D&D is usually more akin to a 1st person narrative, everything is seen from the protagonists' point of view. So if the protagonist and antagonist do not have scenes together, there is little opportunity to establish the antagonist's personality. The author could give the antagonist a detailed personality, backstory and history, but it would be time wasted if the reader never got to experience it.

As an example, I ran an Eberron campaign which started with the PCs set up as patsies in a political assassination. I knew the villain's plot, and I knew their motive, but at that point I didn't know anything else about them. As the players (largely freeform) investigations brought them closer to the identity of their faceless enemy I filled out some details: their organisation, their rank, their name. Eventually, for the final confrontation I added a stat block. Since the PCs never got to speak to them, I never needed to give them a personality. If the PCs had managed a non-combat meeting I would have created a personality on the spot with improv acting.

Last edited:

Starfox

Hero
I’ve been trying to flip the script and have the PCs be the ones to try and change the world and let the villains be the conservative ones.
How did this work out? I've tried this too, but the players rarely bite or formulate a goal to acts towards. When they do, the golas are usually nebulous, such as "promote the arts" rather than "turn that mountain into a sculpture and animate it".

Isn't that the plot of Star Wars?
I'd say the heroes of Star Wars are reactionary rather than progressive, wanting to turn back time. :)

payn

How did this work out? I've tried this too, but the players rarely bite or formulate a goal to acts towards. When they do, the golas are usually nebulous, such as "promote the arts" rather than "turn that mountain into a sculpture and animate it".
It's a bit difficult you need the type that is proactive and willing to drive the game. Many gamers want to be reactive and taken for a ride instead.

Oofta

Legend
It's a bit difficult you need the type that is proactive and willing to drive the game. Many gamers want to be reactive and taken for a ride instead.
It also just depends on what you mean and perspective. I was in a campaign were we started a revolution against the BBEG that had taken over the territory (shades of Star Wars here). Were we just trying to return things back to "the old days" when the region wasn't under authoritarian control? Or were we being reactive?

payn

It also just depends on what you mean and perspective. I was in a campaign were we started a revolution against the BBEG that had taken over the territory (shades of Star Wars here). Were we just trying to return things back to "the old days" when the region wasn't under authoritarian control? Or were we being reactive?
The SW example muddies the water because we didn't have pre-empire content in New Hope; that came later. Though I would say the difference is if the opposing faction is maintaining a status quo that has been in place and was not ushered in by them. Then, its not being reactive or conservative. Though, I think we are taking the trees for the forest here. Id say the main point is the PCs creating a resistance and forming a way for revolution instead of joining one already in progress. There is no defined white hat and black hat, thats up for the PCs to decide.

The SW example muddies the water because we didn't have pre-empire content in New Hope; that came later. Though I would say the difference is if the opposing faction is maintaining a status quo that has been in place and was not ushered in by them. Then, its not being reactive or conservative. Though, I think we are taking the trees for the forest here. Id say the main point is the PCs creating a resistance and forming a way for revolution instead of joining one already in progress. There is no defined white hat and black hat, thats up for the PCs to decide.
There are actually a lot of "rebel" narratives, where the protagonist is working proactively against an evil tyrant who wants to maintain the status quo: William Tell, Robin Hood, Blake's 7 etc.

And you don't have to look that hard to find other examples with a proactive protagonist and a reactive antagonist. The Hobbit for example.

payn

There are actually a lot of "rebel" narratives, where the protagonist is working proactively against an evil tyrant who wants to maintain the status quo: William Tell, Robin Hood, Blake's 7 etc.

And you don't have to look that hard to find other examples with a proactive protagonist and a reactive antagonist. The Hobbit for example.
Ok, sure, now tell me about your RPG games where the PCs decided to become a Robin Hood like character on their own?

Remove ads