D&D 5E In defense of my post....

Status
Not open for further replies.

If your opening post replaced its last three sentences with: "We need your help to spread the word", it would make a much better impression.

I've ran a Kickstarter before and have seen it fail. I didn't shame people for not giving me their money.

Further more, your public image is everything. When you mock safety tools in another thread, it tells me that you are not in touch with modern gaming. Having such sensibilities is extra important when working with the world of Lovecraft. It requires a delicate touch.

If your opening post replaced its last three sentences with: "We need your help to spread the word", it would make a much better impression.

I've ran a Kickstarter before and have seen it fail. I didn't shame people for not giving me their money.

Further more, your public image is everything. When you mock safety tools in another thread, it tells me that you are not in touch with modern gaming. Having such sensibilities is extra important when working with the world of Lovecraft. It requires a delicate touch.
OK, I'm out of touch with modern gaming. What are safety tools?

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Ah, another acolyte of all press is good press... This post reads like a pick-up artist manifesto from the 2000s. The Shame and Plead.
This Kickstarter is all over the place. You have an EPIC Mini-adventure (a little oxymoronic), a video, music, screensaver battle maps, and a printable miniature .stl at the top of your pitch. These are just ribbons to what you are actually selling, which are physical resin models and a set of dice? You should have started with the product, not the freebies. The intro video is basic Lovecraft and does nothing to sell the art you are offering. You could have had quotes from stories and then showcased a model relevant to the quote. Also, the pledge levels are too flowery. Leave the quoted text to stand with the art. Minor nitpick, a 6" unpainted shoggoth is both $26 and $29. It reads sloppy. I look at your Kickstarter page and I have to work to figure out what is for sale. No one is going to put in the time to work out what is for sale.
The sculpts look good. We could quibble over your pricing, but they are not ridiculous. I think you have a good product that could prove lucrative, but you need to sell it in a clearer fashion. There are a lot of miniatures Kickstarters, and quite a few are cosmic horror. Put your product out in front and then pile on all the free stuff to use with these pieces.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Things like consent checklists and the X card. Basically, tools to help minimize the risk of accidentally causing players real emotional distress when addressing potentially sensitive subjects in game. Not everyone finds them necessary, especially if they are very familiar with the people they play with and their limits, but they can be useful tools for some groups, and mocking them simply because they aren’t necessary for your group (general you, not you specifically) is in pretty poor taste.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Tabletop roleplaying game storylines, whether in classic heroic fantasy system like Dungeons & Dragons or horror RPGs like Vampire: The Masquerade, can cover a wide variety of topics - some light-hearted, others touching on mature themes like violence, sex, gore, abuse, war-time casualties, or the phobias/traumas of players. Safety tools such as the "X-Card," "Lines And Veils," or "Roses and Thorns" can empower gaming groups to responsibly play through RPG campaigns with these mature topics, letting them pause or slow down their game session whenever in-game events lead to real-world stress.

From this article

We've put together an incredible package - an epic mini-adventure, video, music, animated battle maps, free music, a stunning free STL and amazing, one-of-a-kind miniatures.

Everybody seems to like it. But nobody's supporting us.
With all due respect I can't work out who this is aimed at. It's far too scattershot. More accurately if I'm looking for adventures I don't want to buy minis at the same time, while if I'm looking for minis I don't want to buy dice at the same time. Offer me an adventure kickstarter and I might back it if the adventure sounds like something I might want. Offer me a minis kickstarter and I might. Offer me a dice one and I might. I've done so in all cases.

Offer me all at once? The only way I'm going to back it is if you've integrated it into a boardgame rather than welded three different things together and are trying to convince me to pay for two things I don't need or want to get one thing I do if I do at all.
I thought the community came together to support each other.
You've literally posted eight messages on Enworld. Half of them are you not just advertising but starting new threads to advertise this kickstarter of yours. And of the grand total of three posts you've made that aren't pure advertising the two of them linked by @Nod_Hero are dunking on the idea of protecting our fellow players and the tools we use to do that in the community.
It looks like I was wrong....

:.-(
And there's the cheap emotional manipulation that takes away any chance I'd back this kickstarter even if I wanted what it had to offer.

To add to what was already said...

(I think Charlaquin and Grimslade did a great job explaining most of it)

When you are making something Lovecraft related, some sensitivity is extra important. Chaosium has been really quite good at addressing the more problematic side of Lovecraft's legacy (the outright racism). The elephant in the room, if you will.

So when a creator shows such a disregard and lack of understanding for topics that may be sensitive, that seems like a bad match with anything relating to Lovecraft to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads