D&D 5E In defense of my post....

Status
Not open for further replies.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
So heads-up that the "mock-up" pictures of the adventure are arguably a bit misleading (because you aren't distributing physical copies only digital). Yes people could print it out, but unless they have a large format printer (and a long-arm stapler) and you are providing it set up to be printed double size and bound together, the "magazine style" presentation in the images is not what is described in the text.

The current form of the cover also has a general design layout that would be considered to infringe on the tradedress of Wizards of the Coast, though I believe they would permit such if you distibuted it as a DMs Guild exclusive product, and a knock-off D&D logo that would definitely run far afoul of their legal department in any context.

I recommend consulting an attorney for this project, particularly given the minefield of trademark issues surrounding the mostly-but-not-quite-in-the-public-domain Lovecraftian Mythos.

Good luck.
Seconded.

You've got a trade dress issue involving WOTC and a copyright issue with Chaosium. So, even if I were to give you money, it looks like it would immediately go to your future defense lawyer.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I thought the community came together to support each other.

Well, as has been shown, you were not supportive yourself in the past. It is a little ironic that, having shown disdain for the feelings of others then, you expect others to respond to your feelings now.

In addition - nobody OWES you their money for product just because you are in "the community".

Last edited:

BookTenTiger

He / Him
One way to look at this is that the "community" didn't rally behind your project.

The other way to look at it is that your product fails to rally support from the community.

When I look at your Kickstarter, I have trouble making out a clear project vision or product. Furthermore, you have hardly proved yourself a part of this community, with only a handful of posts and very little engagement.

It's not hard to engage and mobilize a community like ENWorld... I recently bid on two Kickstarter projects because of posts here. But I think a lesson from this effort is that YOU didn't rally around a community you were relying on for funding.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
This is another reminder that Kickstarter is not a money tree. It's a great funding tool, but backers have limited budgets, so they are choosy about what they back.

I would recommend that in the future, instead of this post you say something like, "Hi everybody, my project is not doing as well as I'd hoped. Could anybody please give me advice for what I could do differently to improve it when I try to relaunch?"

Some people have already given you advice for how you can improve in the future. If you listen to them you might be able to relaunch more successfully.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I would recommend that in the future, instead of this post you say something like, "Hi everybody, my project is not doing as well as I'd hoped. Could anybody please give me advice for what I could do differently to improve it when I try to relaunch?"

Morrus already has several threads on the subject, IIRC, and he's been pretty darned successful at getting his work funded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads