D&D 5E In defense of my post....

Status
Not open for further replies.

teitan

Legend
All I have to say is you really want this kickstarter to fail otherwise you might get some unexpected attention from WotC and the Lovecraft estate...
There isn’t a Lovecraft estate and his work is in the public domain. There are people with questionable rights that have not yet been adequately challenged in court because why bother? Chaosium has trademarks though. Now that D&D logo is gonna get someone sued and so is the trade dress.

I suspect this was a drive-by posting and that @ourmaninboston is not coming back to read any of the responses.
I mean if he came back he doubtlessly just saw that there was a big pile on and moved on, and if he came back after people had started digging up problematic posts of his then I'm unsurprised he decided to just get out of dodge.

Entitlement is a hell of a drug.
Indeed. I really don't want to touch the politics of this with a ten-foot pole, but when I saw the thread title I thought for an instant, before the part of my brain that remembers what website I'm on kicked in, that it was something about the US withdrawal from Afghanistan, which formally ended that day and was on my mind I guess. Suffice it to say that I came in thinking about how self-absorbed and small in the grand scheme of things this particular "ungodly amount of hard work, money, hopes, and dreams" was.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It’s a weak kind of person who blames others for their failures.

Mod Note:
Telling someone they did something bad, I can understand. But there's a cap as to how personal we should make it, and how insulting we should get, and this is a bit much.

If you don't clearly take the moral high ground in your response, it becomes a bit of a race to the bottom, which is ironic, but not amusingly so.

Sacrosanct

Legend
This is the first time I’ve heard of your Kickstarter and trying to shame me into supporting it is having the effect of making me not want to do so.

The current form of the cover also has a general design layout that would be considered to infringe on the tradedress of Wizards of the Coast, though I believe they would permit such if you distibuted it as a DMs Guild exclusive product, and a knock-off D&D logo that would definitely run far afoul of their legal department in any context.

Not to beat a dead horse, and I wasn't even aware of the other related threads they commented on, but this right here? This is what causes me to not back it. If you (general you) haven't even bothered to familiarize yourself with the OGL and separate DM's Guild licenses, that is a huge red flag you haven't done your due diligence, and thus I don't trust in the product itself.

S'mon

Legend
There isn’t a Lovecraft estate and his work is in the public domain. There are people with questionable rights that have not yet been adequately challenged in court because why bother? Chaosium has trademarks though. Now that D&D logo is gonna get someone sued and so is the trade dress.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads