D&D 5E In Defense of the Beastmaster

Dausuul

Legend
Halflings are the kings of beast master rangering IMO, for one reason: You can ride your companion and use Mounted Combatant. That pretty much negates all durability concerns. Furthermore, you can pick a vulture or pteranodon and fly starting at level 3.

Juriel

First Post
Halflings are the kings of beast master rangering IMO, for one reason: You can ride your companion and use Mounted Combatant. That pretty much negates all durability concerns. Furthermore, you can pick a vulture or pteranodon and fly starting at level 3.

True words. Mounted Combat helps a ton, since you can direct attacks against yourself. However...

If you get knocked prone in mounted combat, you need to make a DC 10 Dex save or fall off the mount. Same thing if your mount gets proned or pushed back (like, Thunderwave).

The game does not say what happens if YOU are just knocked back, like from Eldritch Blast. Four interpretations: make the same save to ignore it, you automatically get moved off your mount, you and the mount both get moved that distance, nothing happens as you are tethered to a thing larger than you.

And the mount still gets hit by any and all AoE (with the feat, it saves to avoid all of the damage, but their saves suck, as established). For this reason, a high-Dex mount would be very preferrable.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The game does not say what happens if YOU are just knocked back, like from Eldritch Blast. Four interpretations: make the same save to ignore it, you automatically get moved off your mount, you and the mount both get moved that distance, nothing happens as you are tethered to a thing larger than you.

Good question! The knock back from Eldritch blast is a magical effect, and makes no accommodations for size.

That to me suggests that the first and the last of your possibilities aren't in the running.

That leaves "you are dismounted" and "you and the mount move" -- in different cases, both of those might be desirable for the PC. My sense would be that you are dismounted, but if the player wants to try a DC 10 Dex save, and if they succeed, they can remain mounted, but both mount and rider are moved 10'.

Dausuul

Legend

As DM, I'd rule option #1: Automatic knock-off. That's one of the risks you take in mounted combat. However, such effects aren't too common.

And the mount still gets hit by any and all AoE (with the feat, it saves to avoid all of the damage, but their saves suck, as established). For this reason, a high-Dex mount would be very preferrable.
As I recall, Mounted Combatant gives the mount full evasion; no damage on a successful save and half damage on fail. Am I remembering wrong? As usual, don't have my PHB at work.

Juriel

First Post
Our Halfling Beastmaster would only get advantage on (melee) attacks against Small targets... So, ride a Wolf, because they have Pack Attack (advantage if ally next to target, which is you), and their bite can knock people prone, which would give your eventual extra attacks advantage.

You'd be taking the feat just to keep the bloody pet alive, but this might work.

Dausuul

Legend
While of course it is every DM's call, I don't think it's obvious that "ally" = "rider", and this would not fly at every table.
Rider, I suppose it's conceivable, though I'd certainly rule that a fighting mount counts its rider as an ally. But I can't imagine a table where a beast master ranger is not considered an ally of his/her companion.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Rider, I suppose it's conceivable, though I'd certainly rule that a fighting mount counts its rider as an ally. But I can't imagine a table where a beast master ranger is not considered an ally of his/her companion.

Fair enough, and I see no issues fighting alongside one's companion.

I admit I have limited experience riding wolves, and so defer to the experts. ;)

Remove ads