D&D 5E In need of a particular magic item...

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
My players are going to be given a quest to find a one-of-a-kind magic item that’s kind of like sensory deprivation tank but that basically separates a creature from time and space. It needs to have room for a couple of people at least.

I’ve looked through the DMG and another magic item book I have but nothing seemed to fit the bill. So I was wondering if there was something in the history of D&D that would suit, or failing that someone might have a good name for this item?

BlivetWidget

Explorer
My players are going to be given a quest to find a one-of-a-kind magic item that’s kind of like sensory deprivation tank but that basically separates a creature from time and space. It needs to have room for a couple of people at least.

I’ve looked through the DMG and another magic item book I have but nothing seemed to fit the bill. So I was wondering if there was something in the history of D&D that would suit, or failing that someone might have a good name for this item?

I assume this is 5e? Sounds to me like you're describing a mix of Sequester and Demiplane. I would just make your own item and look to those spells for inspiration if you need it, though it sounds like you know what it needs to do. If nothing else, the spells could inspire a name for you. Plane of Sequestration. Put in the name of the object to suit. Diadem of Planar Sequestration, Rod of Isolation, Staff of the Forgotten, Tome of the Elsewhere, etc.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I'm thinking the "Sphere of Tranquility" - sort of the polar opposite of the Sphere of Annihilation :)

Just remember to make it bigger!

Sphere of Annihilation is not nearly big enough to fit two people... at least before they're disintegrated! ;)

Sphere of Tranquility is a great name.

If you want to get ominous, make it a sarcophagus named the Tomb of Silence (with latches to make it obvious the device is supposed to trap things inside.)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Sphere of Tranquility is a great name.

If you want to get ominous, make it a sarcophagus named the Tomb of Silence (with latches to make it obvious the device is supposed to trap things inside.)

As my players will be a level 20 when they go looking for this thing, it will definitely already have an occupant/prisoner... A tarrasque!

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Oh man... I hope they don't know that when they open it :)

There will be a pair of guardian Solars who will attempt to discourage the PCs from messing with it, but as this thing has been trapped for an eternity they're no longer certain exactly what it is, just that it needs to remain secure. Setting the PCs up for a nice conflict.

Ulfgeir

Adventurer
There will be a pair of guardian Solars who will attempt to discourage the PCs from messing with it, but as this thing has been trapped for an eternity they're no longer certain exactly what it is, just that it needs to remain secure. Setting the PCs up for a nice conflict.

So once they open the "bottle", can they put the "Genie" back in? Well, I guess that in itself would be a worthy quest...

I'm thinking it's tardis like. Small on the outside but grows on the inside to accommodate whatever needs to be contained.

Makes sense, I guess it just needs a large enough aperture for the Tarrasque to exit - or maybe it sort of teleports it out but that's somehow less cool/terrifying. You could have fun with a like human-size portal opening, and then it just keeps getting bigger!

der_kluge

Adventurer
There's an artifact, called the Apparatus, or Alchemists Apparatus. If you have access to a Book of Artifacts, you'll find it in there. Basically, two people go inside, and it transfers one mind into the mind of the other. It has other powers as well. Far too complex to go into here. But it sounds perfect.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
There's an artifact, called the Apparatus, or Alchemists Apparatus. If you have access to a Book of Artifacts, you'll find it in there. Basically, two people go inside, and it transfers one mind into the mind of the other. It has other powers as well. Far too complex to go into here. But it sounds perfect.

That does, unfortunately I’ve set things in motion a bit differently and the tarrasque thing is making me smile :)

Coroc

Hero
I was working on a campaign that basically involved these cultists who planned on using the Apparatus to transfer the intellect of their leader into the body of a Tarrasque.
Make it go sideways for a twist, make it transfer the mind of the tarrasque into their leader instead, or in addition. So the humanoid tarrasque now wants to trample cities all the time.

:p

An Advertisement

Advertisement4