In Praise of Dice

I don’t think I need to convince anyone that dice are cool. But for those who feel dice are only useful for looking pretty and making a clattery sound behind a GM’s screen, I disagree.

dice-2788986_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Fudging Dice Rolls​

Recent years have seen an explosion in all manner of gorgeous artisan dice and special editions. It seems every convention I’ve been to I’ve had to add another set to my already over developed collection, whether it was some rainbow dice during Pride at Origins or a set of cool Eldritch Cthulhu dice the next year.

In such articles, the conversation is about taking control of the story and making sure the results do the best thing for the adventure rather than accept a random result. It makes sense, and in many games I’ll ignore my dice (as a GM that is, for a player that’s called cheating) to work in the best interest of the story to get a more satisfying outcome for the players and the game.

But while I do agree with the odd fudging, I have to also council against it, and suggest your story may be a lot better because of the randomness so often eschewed by ardent story gamers. Quite simply, a random result will not only test your storytelling but also get you out of a rut.

Digging Out of a Rut​

We all fall into storytelling ruts. Many players have a certain type of character they love to play, and GMs do the same thing with favourite types of encounter and NPC. There isn’t especially anything wrong with this if that’s what you enjoy playing. But if you are finding your game seems have become a little samey, you need to go a bit random. Instead of choosing character options, roll them by the book and take whatever you get, no matter how unoptimised or odd. Then take all that randomness and make it fit together. Not only will you get a character you have probably taken a lot more time to think about, but also something you don’t usually play. You might hate it, but if so, you can always create a new character, and at the very least you may have gained few interesting ideas you’ll want to use again.

The same goes for the gamemaster. It doesn’t hurt to let fate take over the driving seat now and again. While it might not always take you down the best route, a random dice roll will take your game somewhere unexpected. When the game slides onto a path even the GM didn’t predict, you are all suddenly on a mystery tour. As a GM I find that exciting, because I want to know what’s going to happen as much as the players do. It may mean a little more improvising but that can be part of the fun. Either way, just like creating a random character you will go somewhere you don’t usually go, and tell a story you don’t usually tell. If it isn’t working you always have the option to pull the adventure back onto more familiar ground by fudging the next dice roll. But give it a chance before you do as sometimes the most jarring paths can take you to a very interesting place if you take just a few more steps down that road.

The Glory of Failure​

It’s at this point I should add a note about one of the best things about dice, failure. Failure is good, and possibly one of the best storytelling devices you will ever find. Sure, it might suck to be the thief who fails to pick a lock or the group who fails to take down the villain. But such events only start new stories. If the lock can’t be picked, the party isn’t going to just go home. They must find a new way to get past the door. If they can’t defeat the villain, they won’t just give up (or shouldn’t if they are true heroes). Instead, they will come back again, and how much more satisfying to overcome a problem that seemed insurmountable the first time.

I even include expert characters in this. While your thief might be a world-renowned locksmith, no one has a 100% change of success every time. Even experts fail now and again. So, don’t get hung up on the idea that it is part of your character that ‘they never fail to pick a lock’. Embrace the fact they are imperfect and can have a bad day and ask yourself how they deal with the fact they have failed.

As it often does, Pendragon offers a model for this with the personality traits. Even the most Chaste or Brave knight might fall victim to the charms of an enchantress or be struck by cowardice before a big battle. They are human, it happens. The question then becomes how do they cope with this failure, and how does it affect their position in the group? Can they make amends, will they overcome the lack of confidence, and what will they feel the next time they are called upon to face a similar test?

So, in short, don’t always take too much control of the story. Let go a little and see what fate brings you. It may take you somewhere you never even dreamed possible, and you get to roll a few more of those gorgeous shiny polyhedrons you spent all that money on.

Your Turn: How important are dice in shaping your game's narrative?

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Peregrine

Andrew Peregrine

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I think when many people ask "why even roll?" their motives are a sarcastic gotcha more often then they are a good faith attempt to explore the fudging phenomenon - thus my reaction to it. Honestly, I don't think matters as long as everyone is having fun and the DM is not abusing the trust (whatever form that may take) of the players.
One reason I don't like the internet, people trolling, I understand.

I moved in 2009, so that there was a big change in my group, becoming part of a new group. Habits formed in the old group, things we let slide, did not always apply. Building trust is a big deal though.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
And to be clear, if my players said to me "We don't want you fudging no matter what the reason." I would respect that choice, though as a player I am not sure I would make it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I think when many people ask "why even roll?" their motives are a sarcastic gotcha more often then they are a good faith attempt to explore the fudging phenomenon - thus my reaction to it. Honestly, I don't think it matters as long as everyone is having fun and the DM is not abusing the trust (whatever form that may take) of the players.
There's also a frequent undercurrent of self-righteousness in these debates - whether it's using the term "cheating" or insinuations that the DM is violating the players' trust or their agency. It's rare to have a discussion in which these and the "why even roll" troll don't come up. They're already present in this thread as of page 1. And it happens pretty much without fail.

"It's rare to have a discussion in which these and the "why even roll" troll don't come up. They're already present in this thread as of page 1. And it happens pretty much without fail."

I haven't seen anything I took that way. Just vigorous - but civil - disagreements about approach.

We all have the same goal, after all. Acquiring shiny math rocks!

Needs the more! ALWAYS THE MORE!

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
First, get off my lawn you kids!

Second, the only good dice are the ones where you crayon in the numbers. Photos later when I can find mine from the Holmes box (at least I got some, instead of chits).

Third, peanut butter fudge is the only kind worth having at the game table. It's why I always roll my dice in front of my screen.

Fourth, I'm with @Fenris-77 - I lean much more towards games where my players do all the rolling.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I just want to say that when a die has an icon like a star or skulls in place of one number and it is in place of "1" instead of the highest number, I am deeply disappointed.

I have a very weird d12 that I want to use except it has a "0" and a crown, but no "11" or "12." So is it meant to be an 11-sided die? It is a pretty die. (Sorry for the newspaper background. I am painting minis.)

139568470_169950918256045_3683595470855759275_n.jpg
139418996_407001390377956_4714605234082657279_n.jpg

imagineGod

Legend
With respect, I disagree about DM fudging. When I run a game, I may want/not want certain outcomes for the sake of the story and ultimately the players' fun. Of course, I don't tell the players that I'm fiddling my rolls! But if by a fluke, I roll extremely well and would kill a player's cherished character as a consequence, I'll change the result. Ultimately, one plays a game to have fun and for others to have fun, not to be miserable or make others unhappy.

As for dice themselves, I love them. At this stage I've got thousands more than I actually use. I have even been interviewed on TV about them.
I still do not understand this. Why would the DM fudge dice in a good way, but the Player cannot fudge dice to get a desired outcome too? Remember, the DM is not the only one at the table, and everyone wants a good time, and if the DM is allowed fudge dice for the sake of a good time, then so should the Players have the same option.

Hence, why I suggested that either we all, both Players and DM respect the dice, or we all just tell stories around the table without dice to ensure we all get the outcomes we want.

Stalker0

Legend
I won't say "no fudging" but I definitely fudge less than I used to.

What I have seen over 10 years of Dming is that the moments that players remember are the quirky moments of hilarity, and the big cinematic moments.

Bad dice rolls often lead to hilarity. Further, when players really feel the pressure of failure, and succeed...its a moment they will remember years down the road. Yes that means more characters will die, but over the long haul players will play a good amount of characters, but they will remember the ones that made it through even with all that pressure.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
See? As I said, either you don't fudge ever OR you sit around and tell stories. There is nothing in the middle.

Anyway, I would rather keep talking about dice themselves. How do you all feel about dice towers? I got one for the first time recently and I will never go back!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases