• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"In the Works"; DR against "good"?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I was just reading through the latest In the Works over on WotC's site, and I noticed something in the Barbed Devil (Hamatula) preview for the revised MM: The Barbed Devil (am I the only one getting whiplash for how these outsiders always get their names rearranged?) has "reduction 10/good".

Now, I understood that DR was going to be revised to remove weapon materials from the hierarchy system, but having damage reduction against "good"? The only thing I can think of is that this might apply to Holy weapons, but that would be more of a Regeneration thing than DR. Any theories on what this could be?

Goobermunch

Explorer
It's possible it's 10/good. It's also possible that, since this is from an old galley that we'll see it as 10/holy silver. Since that's what the Pit Fiend has, I suspect the latter is more likely. Then again, maybe it's graduated. Maybe the weaker devils have 10/good and the stronger ones have 10/holy silver. Maybe each has a different set of resistances (boy that makes going to the planes less appetizing). Maybe I should shut up and wait for release day!

--G

EricNoah

Adventurer
I wonder if there might be spells to "align" your weapons, or even a new set of weapon special abilities tied to it. Note how the barbed devil's claws are treated as both evil-aligned and lawful aligned.

coyote6

Adventurer
EricNoah said:
I wonder if there might be spells to "align" your weapons

There are; they mentioned that in the article (Dragon, I think; maybe the website) that talked about DR. Monks' unarmed attacks become "lawful" at some level -- 10th or so.

Pants

First Post
I wonder how this is going to affect monsters being able to bypass other monster's DR? Will a Hamatula be able to bypass another Hamatula's DR or will it always subtract 10 from the damage?

Simplicity

Explorer
10/good means that you can only harm the creature
with a good-aligned character. New rules on wielding
good-aligned characters are provided in the newly
expanded Combat section.

Remove ads