• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Incantatrix

Raspen

First Post
have a question about this class.

I was told that because the improved metamagic ability is a class feature its an extronary ability and when used one can only add one metamagic feat to a spell under the redused cost

the other questions i have is if i took a spell like disinagrate and sudden maximize it and then split ray, would both rays be maximized?

or if i use enlarge on a spell and maximize it would it max to that new high or would that second half be random still?

please if you know the truth behind the questions could you give me a book/page where i can show the rules

thanks for your time

alice_of_ebony

First Post
Raspen said:
I was told that because the improved metamagic ability is a class feature its an extronary ability and when used one can only add one metamagic feat to a spell under the redused cost
Nope, on both counts.

Improved Metamagic is explicitly spelt out as a supernatural ability. Not that it is relevant to the second point.

Incantatrix said:
Improved Metamagic (Su): At 10th level, an incantatrix has mastered magic to such an extent that whenever she uses a metamagic feat, the required increase in spell level (if any) is reduced by one (minimum +1 spell level). For example, a wizard incantatrix could prepare a quickened fireball as a 6th-level spell instead of a 7th-level spell.

This benefit also applies to the incantatrix's other class abilities. Thus the DC for using her metamagic effect of cooperative metamagic ability is reduced appropriately for the metamagic feats involved, and she spends fewer charges when using metamagic spell trigger.
It seems pretty clear to me that using multiple feats with IM is expected.

Raspen said:
the other questions i have is if i took a spell like disinagrate and sudden maximize it and then split ray, would both rays be maximized?

or if i use enlarge on a spell and maximize it would it max to that new high or would that second half be random still?
These are much debated questions. People come down on both sides.

Personally I favour both rays being maximised.

And enlarged spell has a longer range, but the same area of effect. So there is no 'second half'. You are probably thinking of widen spell. I favour the whole widened spell being maximised.

Others will disagree :)

Cheers
(edited for formatting)

Iku Rex

Explorer
alice_of_ebony said:
These are much debated questions. People come down on both sides.
This is how Wizards of the Coast came down:
Official FAQ said:

If my wizard applies Energy Admixture (Complete
Arcane, page 78) and Maximize Spell to the same spell, does
he get a spell that deals double its maximized damage
(maximum normal damage in two different energy types)?
If he also applied the Twin Spell feat (Complete Arcane,
page 84) to the same spell would it duplicate the entire
effect?

Yes and yes. Assuming your character can cast 13th-level
spells—the slot required by a 2nd-level spell affected by these
metamagic feats—a scorching ray so affected would create two
sets of three rays each, with each ray dealing 24 points of fire
damage (4d6, maximized) and 24 points of a second energy
type (as appropriate for your Energy Substitution feat), for a
grand total of 288 points of damage . . . assuming all six rays
hit their target.
So yes, both rays are maximized.

Thanee

First Post
All metamagic stacks this way, except for when you use Empower and Maximize together, only this combination has any special rules.

Bye
Thanee

Dross Swordra

First Post
when does one apply the improved metamagic bonus?
for clarification: If one were to apply maximize and quicken to a magic missile, is the spell 7th level ((1 for the magic missile + 3 for maximize +4 for quicken) - 1 for improved metamagic) or is the spell 6th level ((1 for magic missile + (3 for maximize -1 for IM) + (4 for quicken -1 for IM))

It becomes an issue of order of operations. According to the wording of improved metamagic, it seems like each metamagic would be 'improved', so I tend to think that the second option for the above example is right, but please correct me if I am wrong.

-Dross

Thanee

First Post
IM is not applied to the total spell level, but to the modifier of each individual feat.

Whenever the incantatrix uses a metamagic feat, the required increase in spell level is reduced by one (minimum +1 spell level).

Not whenever the incantatrix casts a spell with metamagic, but whenever she uses a metamagic feat... when the incantatrix casts a spell altered by two metamagic feats, she uses a metamagic feat two times, so the IM ability kicks in twice as well.

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads