D&D 5E Increase a Druid's AC (one player campaign)

Oofta

Legend
There are some obvious items.

Uncommon items
  • Cloak of Protection for +1 to AC
  • +1 Shield

Rare
  • Armor +1
  • Cloak of Displacement, effectively adds around +5 to AC.
  • Ring of Protection (also rare) adds +1 to AC. Nothing stops you from having multiple rings, or stacking with the cloak.

Whether or not you want to allow non-metallic medium armor (turtle shell breastplate) is up to you.

schnee

First Post
We just realized that she has been casting all kinds of spells without dropping the shield/staff, so she's basically been using part of the warcaster feat all the time anyway.

Well, RAW and from Sage Advice, the only time it's an issue if the spell has Somatic and NOT Material components.

Even then, here's what she could have done:

Round 1:
1) Free item interaction: pass staff into her shield hand or drop it or whatever
2) Cast spell with Somatic only
- Has no weapon in hand if an Attack of Opportunity comes up

Round 2:
1) Free item interaction: grab staff again
2) Cast spell with Material component
- Is fine

So, the only flaw is not being able to make an Attack of Opportunity in the same round as casting a spell without a material component.

Unless she was doing that all the time, it wasn't a big deal.

aco175

Legend
Just boost the Dex. Give a tome of dex boosting and a week downtime. The quest comes after letting him read the tome and needs to repay the favor.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I am pretty sure that the ring and the cloak stack, but I'm also pretty sure that you can't benefit from multiple copies of the same item.

I might agree you can't wear two cloaks, but I could see multiple rings of protection. I don't recall any rules about it (but then I haven't looked in 5e). In the novels, no one seems limited by the "two magic rings only" rule that was in previous editions during which they were written. Of course, that's dependent on your DM handing out a fistful of rings of protection LOL

Oofta

Legend
I am pretty sure that the ring and the cloak stack, but I'm also pretty sure that you can't benefit from multiple copies of the same item.

Can you find anything that says that? In 5E?

I know this was a rule in previous editions, but I can't find anything in the current one. They are rare so depending on your campaign it would be highly unlikely that someone finds even one. But from a rules perspective? I don't see anything stopping it.

Ring of Protection +1
You gain a +1 bonus to AC and saving throws while wearing this ring.

Oofta

Legend
I might agree you can't wear two cloaks, but I could see multiple rings of protection. I don't recall any rules about it (but then I haven't looked in 5e). In the novels, no one seems limited by the "two magic rings only" rule that was in previous editions during which they were written. Of course, that's dependent on your DM handing out a fistful of rings of protection LOL

I guess they should have gone to Jared's. :cool:

rczarnec

Explorer
Can you find anything that says that? In 5E?

I know this was a rule in previous editions, but I can't find anything in the current one. They are rare so depending on your campaign it would be highly unlikely that someone finds even one. But from a rules perspective? I don't see anything stopping it.

Ring of Protection +1
You gain a +1 bonus to AC and saving throws while wearing this ring.

DMG p. 138:
Additionally, a creature can't attune to more than one copy of an item. For example, a creature can't attune to more than one ring of protection at a time.

The DMG even uses the Ring of Protection as the example for having no more than one copy of an item attuned.

Remove ads