D&D 5E Increase a Druid's AC (one player campaign)

Oofta

Legend
DMG p. 138:
Additionally, a creature can't attune to more than one copy of an item. For example, a creature can't attune to more than one ring of protection at a time.

The DMG even uses the Ring of Protection as the example for having no more than one copy of an item attuned.

Thanks for looking it up. We may have a couple of players that are cheating (not rings, but dual-wielding weapons) without realizing it.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
DMG p. 138:
Additionally, a creature can't attune to more than one copy of an item. For example, a creature can't attune to more than one ring of protection at a time.

The DMG even uses the Ring of Protection as the example for having no more than one copy of an item attuned.

Thank you. And even if it wasn't in the rules... it seems like it should have been. I mean what's next, casting mage armor 3 times?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I might agree you can't wear two cloaks, but I could see multiple rings of protection. I don't recall any rules about it (but then I haven't looked in 5e). In the novels, no one seems limited by the "two magic rings only" rule that was in previous editions during which they were written. Of course, that's dependent on your DM handing out a fistful of rings of protection LOL

In 5e it's limited by the rarity of items, atunement rules, stacking rules (as just discussed) and maybe how many fingers you have? (yes, you could put more than one ring on a single finger, but eventually you run out of room! :p )

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Thanks for looking it up. We may have a couple of players that are cheating (not rings, but dual-wielding weapons) without realizing it.

hmmm... two identical weapons bother me less, as long as their magic are something that affects the target, not the wielder. I.e. two vorpal swords is fine (save from the ultra-munchkin aspect) but if someone had 2 defender swords... I would let them use them but I wouldn't allow the defense bonuses to stack.

Oofta

Legend
hmmm... two identical weapons bother me less, as long as their magic are something that affects the target, not the wielder. I.e. two vorpal swords is fine (save from the ultra-munchkin aspect) but if someone had 2 defender swords... I would let them use them but I wouldn't allow the defense bonuses to stack.

The multiple ring thing has never come up, and I flunked my knowledge DMG check. But I do like to know when I'm overriding the rules. Or if I think a rule is ambiguous and we need to make a ruling.

Remove ads