D&D 5E Increasing/Modifying Attunement

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
So I LOVE attunement. I think it is one of the best new features in 5E D&D and took a shine to it right away. However, I find that having to have something attuned is already kind of limiting and thus further limiting it to 3 attuned items max felt like too much.

So what I am considering for my current games is to increase the limit to 5 attuned items (I also tend to give out items that have multiple powers, some basic ones you need to be attuned for some you don't) but placing the limit on not being able to be attuned to more items than you have places on your body to actually use the item. So kind of a hard limit/body slots hybrid.

Thus, unless you are an ettin, you can only have one necklace attuned and one magical hat attuned. The typical two arms, two legs humanoid could be attuned to no more than two magical bracelets. They could be attuned to five magic rings (sure they have 10 fingers, but the maximum is still five of any kind total) and other limits are determined by the slot they take up - only one cloak or one kind of magic shirt, only one pair of boots (since magical boots usually need to work in a pair - but I guess if there were singular magical boots you could be attuned to two), etc. . .

Furthermore, you cannot be attuned to more than three weapons or other non-wearable magical items (total) of any kind at time.

This gives slightly more access to different kinds of magical items but serves to still tamp down on swapping between characters without some effort or even swapping out different items of the same time on the same character.

The slots thing provides a simple rule to follow just by asking yourself, does this item I am about to attune to use the same part of my body to activate? And if it does, attuning to it would de-attune the previous item.

I don't think the self-swapping thing is much of an issue - but flavor-wise I like the idea of limiting it.

Thoughts?

J-H

Hero
I have increased the attunement limit to 4 for my players (currently level 14) and it will go to 5 at 18. Too many attunement slots were being tied up by armor and weapons and it was cutting down on their ability to be versatile.

Your table, your game.
I like limited to 3. Doesn't mean I might not give my players a boon for a fourth attunement slot granted by some diety when they get to a higher level. But it will always be at a cost, or a trade-off for some other benefit. Choices are important. Limits are critical for making choices be important and meaningful.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I've kept the 3 item limit - and so far no issues. But campaign hasn't gone too high level (8th)

That said, I love the attunement mechanic and have added a few things. Specifically, crafters of items have agendas and the items often reflect that.

For example: The party found a ring of freadom of movement in the sewers of the city of Greyhawk. The ring was emblazoned with the seal of the city. If one attunes to it they get the full benefits of a ring of free action. BUT with the attunement the ring also imparts a sense of duty and loyalty to the city of Greyahwk. If the wearer ever acts directly against an authority of greyhawk (say the city watch, but since the ring is attuned to the wearer, basically if they think they are acting against a person in authority, so does the ring, it's not intelligent) then the ring will hold monster them (save at disadvantage).

And items similar to that - basically add flavor and substance - not just a balancing mechanic.

Remove ads