D&D 5E Increasing/Modifying Attunement

jgsugden

Legend
My system is as follows:

• Each PC gets 9 attunement points. Each magic items is assigned an attunement cost between 1 and 5. Most items are 3, but weaker items are assigned lower costs and stronger items are assigned higher costs.
  • If you keep an item attuned for a prolonged period, you are considered fully attuned. When fully attuned, the attunement cost drops by 1. A prolonged period is either 1 year of game time, or 5 levels of advancement. If you unattune, even for a moment, the cost goes back up.

With these rules in place, PCs that possess 'weaker' items can have them effectively become attunement free after a while, while the objects like boots of flying that are very strong for their rarity level can be assigned a higher attunement cost as a counter balance.

This is not something a PC understands until they manage to get an 8 Arcana or Religion.

ECMO3

Hero
Most games I'm in, we use the proficiency = attunement slots method. If you were trying to balance for available magic, I might consider doing that plus +1 for non-casters, +0 for half-casters, and -1 for full casters. ⅓ casters would count as their base non-caster for these purposes. For multiclassing, I'd probably just use whatever the highest-leveled class was to determine the effect.
So the people who are most fluent with magic have the smallest number they can attune to?

That does not make a lot of sense to me.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
So the people who are most fluent with magic have the smallest number they can attune to?

That does not make a lot of sense to me.

As stated earlier:

1. It's not good to discriminate on magic item slots. Magic tends to be such an integral enough part of the game that it's unfair some players get more than others simply by the character they play;

2. If you're going to discriminate in spite of that, it's certainly not fair that wizards, already a top tier class with access to oodles of magic, get significantly favored treatment on top of that (realistically, if tied to INT the Wizard would get access to double to quadruple the number of attunement slots, with no sacrifice whatever. That's ridiculous).

3. If you are going to discriminate against wizards - It's perfectly easy to justify "in game." Wizards as suffused with magic as they are, simply have less room for further outside magic on top of the large amount they already control.

I have considered that the three slots are mind, body, and spirit. An item that requires attunement can be tied to any slot, but if it is tied to a matching slot there is a little bene. I haven't really run 5e yet, however, just a couple of one-shots.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases