• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inferlock Curse loop?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
This rule is clearly intended to be used for ending a characters movement when extraordinary circumstances regarding creatures occupying a square arise.

If you move consecutively into the squares of two adjacent allies, and then run out of movement, you can't end your movement in the second ally's square; neither, however, can you end your movement in the first ally's square. You have to go back prior to that. So just because one square is illegal doesn't mean you can ignore the legality of the previous square - you need to check that one too.

If you're considered to be your own enemy, then you can't end your movement in the last square you move into, because that would be ending your movement in an enemy's square. Neither can you end your move in the square prior to that, because if you end your movement there, that's your square, so you'll be ending your movement in an enemy's square. Neither, of course, can you end your movement in the square before that, for the same reason... and finally, neither can you end your movement in the square you started in, again for the same reason.

You can't move any further, because you've run out of movement, but there's no square that's legal for you to end your movement in, because any square you attempt to end your movement in is your square, and thus an enemy's square, and thus illegal.

-Hyp.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
If you're considered to be your own enemy, then you can't end your movement in the last square you move into, because that would be ending your movement in an enemy's square. Neither can you end your move in the square prior to that, because if you end your movement there, that's your square, so you'll be ending your movement in an enemy's square. Neither, of course, can you end your movement in the square before that, for the same reason... and finally, neither can you end your movement in the square you started in, again for the same reason.

You can't move any further, because you've run out of movement, but there's no square that's legal for you to end your movement in, because any square you attempt to end your movement in is your square, and thus an enemy's square, and thus illegal.

-Hyp.

The square isn't yours until you end your move, because you cannot move into it without ending your move. Therefore you can end your move that square because you do not yet occupy it, and it is not an enemy square. The square doesn't become an invalid target for you to occupy until you have ended your move, at which point your move is ended. Because your move has already ended, the square can become an illegal square with no consequences to you.

Consider this: If an enemy ends their move in a square occupied by you, you do not have to end your move in a different square, because you are not moving. It's a similar concept, in order to be "shunted" into a square you must end your move (and thus not be moving.)

But I have the feeling we are arguing in circles at this point.

DracoSuave

First Post
No but it does prove one thing.

If you are your own enemy, the rules do not work.
The rules -do- work, therefore you cannot be your own enemy.

A -> B
~B -> ~A

Therefore you cannot be your own enemy in the current ruleset.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Consider this: If an enemy ends their move in a square occupied by you...

He can't. He'd have to end his move in the last square he could occupy.

... you do not have to end your move in a different square, because you are not moving.

Exactly. But in out primary example, you are moving.

You move isn't ended until you've ended your move in a legal square, and any square you attempt to end your move in is illegal.

-Hyp.

On Puget Sound

First Post
I believe I have the solution to Hypersmurf's endless move dilemma: You can end in an enemy's square only if the enemy is helpless. Since you MUST end your turn or the players will run out of Doritos and Mountain Dew waiting, it therefore follows that you must become helpless. You can't do this by attacking yourself (other than a single OA), since you can't interrupt your move action with a standard action.

I submit, though, that you can, indeed must, choose to voluntarily become helpless. How to accomplish this within the rules? Well, warlocks typically have high Charisma and Bluff and Intimidate training; they also have low Wisdom and are typically not trained in Insight. So, before you begin the endless illegal move action, you must bluff yourself into believing you are bloodied (standard action). Then spend an action point to intimidate yourself into surrendering. A surrendered character may be considered helpless, and you may therefore now share a square with yourself.

Atzilla

First Post
[trollmode]

I wonder:
If I am my own enemy, my teammates are allies of my enemy, shouldn't they be considered as enemies, too?

[/trollmode]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads